Wednesday, December 30, 2009

New Year's Eve's Eve


[A disclaimer: I originally wrote this very early in the morning, not even the birds had come to feast on the NEW bird-feeder I purchased and filled for them yesterday; so if it appears to not make much sense, consider it the ramblings of a scared old man]
We have arrived at that fragile precipice that clings tenaciously to yesterday; to times we'd rather revisit than proceed into an unknown future. Or perhaps we stand on this precipice and look forward towards the new year we anxiously anticipate a tomorrow clothed in hope and love. We sense the successes of this past year are quickly losing their grandeur and effectiveness, maybe they were not as rooted in the basics of life as we had proclaimed, which brings about the question, 'how can we expect tomorrow to be any deeper and lasting?' The answer can only come from a resource over which we, fortunately, have no control. The answer is to put our hope, our trust and our faith in our Creator. It's amazing that I take so many things for granted, and my Creator, tragically so frequently, is one of them.
In the morning when I wake I thank Him for the day; yet rarely do I really take into contemplation the fullness of this 'miracle' of just waking up. There are perhaps millions throughout the world that wished they hadn't woke up; and for many more waking up is merely the promise of another filled with pain and/or suffering. Yet God desires for me to 'take in the miracle.' Every breath I take is another hope, another inspiration to make this day complete in
in allowing His design to take shape in my life. Every breath I take is another living evidence of His creative power, yet will I today allow my emotions, my desires, my feelings, my will to short circuit the joy He has in store for me - the joy he expects me to give to others; every breath I take is another gift of His grace, there's nothing in me to deserve this indescribable gift, a gift He desires for me to share as freely has He has given me. Every day I place my trust in things I take for granted ... oh they will be there, they will work, they will come through for me because I expect them to - only in their not working do I suddenly wake up to the error of taking things for granted ... is it only when God refuses to participate in ways I think he should, that I finally acknowledge I've taken him for granted? As every breath passes my lips or my nostrils there should be an 'intentional' thanks, an anticipation of the fullness the next breath should be a part of.
Have I already drawn a picture of what tomorrow is going to be like, is that picture a result of my desires and wishes - what things have I taken out of perspective - what things shouldn't even be in the picture? Will the unknown promises and hopes fit within the frame I have already crafted and determined they must be limited by? How much easier might it be if I just resolved to enter the new year as a new-born babe in the sense that I have not control, its all in God's hands? Tomorrow is scary, for my baggage is me, and I have lived my whole life with me. My failures are ever before me as a unrequested mirror reflecting those times I'd rather keep hidden and certainly hope no one else becomes aware of. My accomplishments are too short lived, and their tentacles to fragile to form a solid base from which to grapple with tomorrow's conflicts. The resources to make tomorrow's promising but weary journey are all in His hands. The issue is not is He faithful, but am I faithful - am I eager to forgive - am I freely offering grace and mercy - am I a willing vehicle for passing on His hope - am I looking for opportunity in obstacles?
These lines of reflecting have betrayed me; for often in writing one is deceived into thinking resolution will be a natural result. So again I turn to face that gulf between today and the new year and am as sacred as the newborn ... I lived long enough to know my next breath my be my eulogy ...but if it isn't, will I greet my next breath with love and hope, knowing that my Creator is in control and I'm a cheerful, living sacrifice for His work?

1 comment:

  1. You've provided a very poetic justification for a life affirming philosophy. God has granted all of us a number of days to serve a purpose, perhaps only He will know. It is the height of hubris and certainly ingratitude, to refuse to acknowledge the gift of each breath and the responsibility which comes with it.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete