Thursday, December 10, 2009

Times Like These

Have you ever read something that grabs the moment, the moment when you wondered what you were accomplishing in life - the moment that addressed that question that had been haunting you - the moment that defined your purpose in life better than it had ever been defined before - any moment?! As I was re-reading a book I came across such an article. The article was addressing what often appears to be the repetitious, predictable pattern of preaching every week. Sometimes it feels like the preacher isn't making much of a difference with his/her weekly declarations of good news, but G.K.Chesterton, in his book Orthodoxy, says that just because we feel we're stuck in an endless cycle doesn't mean God isn't still actively creating, actively creating through our repetition. Chesterton goes on to illustrate how a child loves the predictable and unchanging; I've experienced that when I will read many times to a grandchild the same story .......... 'read it again,' they'll request, and so I read it again, and again, and again. And each time they eagerly listen as though they've never heard it, but should I miss or change a word right away they say, 'that's not right!' Chesterton proposes that that illustrates how God is actively creating, every morning he says to the sun, 'do it again,' and at night to the moon, 'do it again.' God takes perfect delight in 'doing it again,' 'he never gets tired of the repetition says Chesterton. 'God has the eternal appetite of infancy' adds Chesterton. Every time we praise God he cries, 'do it again,' every time that the preacher tells the story, God cries, 'tell it again.' Every time the congregation gathers around the communion table and shares God cries, 'do it again.' Such repetition does not entertain, it sustains; such repetition does not inform, it forms those who hear and share. I had never realized how caught up in the world's search for continually wanting something new I had become, my eyes closed to the freshness of the mundane, the value of 'do it again.' I needed that chapter from 'The End of Words' by Richard Lischer.

4 comments:

  1. While I have nothing against orthodoxy and a certain amount of ritual, I suppose there's always the danger of it becoming merely rote, mindless repetition. In that, I'm conflicted. My "baptist-ness" has caused me to be suspicious of liturgy, but I've come to the conclusion that it is perhaps necessary to purge our minds of the world and get our hearts ready to receive God's instruction. Frankly, it also bespeaks a certain reverent awe at coming before a Holy God. If there's one thing that troubles me about "modern" forms of worship with the bands and "with it" praise choruses is that they don't properly acknowledge our human position relative to God The Father, Almighty.
    That said, if we comfort ourselves in orthodox worship forms, (as opposed to orthodox theology which I demand, BTW), as a substitute for self-examination, confession, repentance and improvement, we've got a problem.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherm...
    I believe 'liturgy' has gotten a bad break by those [my denomination included] who saw only it being practiced as mindless repetition and therefore rejected it. To me liturgy is a wonderful reminder of who I am as compared to who he is. Even liturgy can be instructive; stepping out on a branch I would submit that those denominations [again mine included] that have forsaken liturgy could be afraid of it. What is it about repetition that disturbs us? Why are we afraid of it? I can remember when I first began making the communion elements available every Sunday some well meaning old saints said it demeaned communion because the bread/juice would become too familiar, and whose fault is that - it certainly isn't God's? Like you, I think we've got to find a way to make liturgy fresh, and not get trapped in 'forms.' thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: Communion. You've touched a nerve with me, there, too. I bemoan the fact that we do not partake enough, i.e. once a quarter at our congregation. For me, Communion is a reminder that when we approach God, we should do so with contrite, repentant hearts. This means, we should examine ourselves to make sure that there is nothing which stands between us and God. I think that doing that more often is appropriate and necessary to make sure that those sorts of internal considerations and soul searching occur on a regular basis, if not daily.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherm
    I totally agree with you; a couple of Lenten seasons past I took communion every morning as i started the day, it was meaningful, but there is something more soul-searching and meaningful when you're taking communion with others.

    ReplyDelete