Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Good Morning, My name is Dominie

Not long ago, a friend of my procreator Timm allowed his alter-ego to write a column. The idea had an intriguing effect on Timm and he asked if I would like to try being an author; of course there would be some guidelines I must follow, and too much self-disclosure would result not only in censure but no more articles, so I consented, rarely has my influence ever been allowed public exposure, particularly given Timm's disposition and vocation. I have a tendency to elaborate, exaggerate and just plain embarrass, so I will do my best to refrain as much as possible. My name is Dominine, and I have European roots which probably accounts in large measure for Timm's interest in family heritage. WEll, enough about myself, it's fairly likely you'll learn more than you ever cared to know about me through my writing. Today I'm just going to preview some headlines from the news that have caught my attention.
first, did you hear about the 'Copenhagen climate summit in disarray after 'Danish text' leak? Developing countries react furiously to leaked draft agreement that would hand more power to rich nations, sideline the UN's negotiating role and abandon Kyoto protocol. Bless the Dane's hearts, they're at it again. Two words caught my attention, 'sideline and abandon.' If you ever thought that Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid have no international influence, think again ... sideline and abandon are two of their favorite legislative tactics. I sense someone peeking over my shoulder, let's move on to the next article.
second, Ben Shapiro writes an article about 'racism of the black community', if even a small portion of what he writes is true, I'm really getting confused, 'just who is a racist?' ...am I? dare I object to anything anymore without being judged as prejudicial? oh how our pc climate loves confusion; but then I have to give them a hand because confusion definitely means we don't have to think too hard about being honest.
third, finally an article that should tickle our hearts, especially at this Christmas season of gift purchasing, our esteemed President wants us to know that the only way to get out of debt is to SPEND. Go figure, why was that news necessary, isn't that what we're both personally and governmentally already trying to do [wasn't that the engine behind the stimulus?]... credit crunch my foot, it should be called 'credit celebration!'
fourth, 'Senate kills abortion amendment' so that the government can continue to pay for the elimination of unwanted and inconvenient births. If ever there has been a generation of hypocrisy that passes for truth this explains today.
fifth, Google's CEO Eric Schmidt suggests you alter your 'scandalous behavior before you complain about his company broadcasting your behavior.' Note that this esteemed CEO [under a cloud of moral behavior himself] doesn't reason that you alter your behavior for moral reasons just that your sins might be your public downfall..
something Biblical is echoing in the background?
my last comment today is about an article I found in the newsprint guardian of all virtue and morals, The Scotsman. 'Gays facing death penalty as Africa hit by homophobia.' Let me begin by saying that Timm is opposed to the 'death penalty' on just about any grounds, and please don't try to use scriptural proof against his opinion, he becomes very close-minded and aggravated. Having said that the author of this article makes two assumptions: first, the countries of Africa have never dealt with homosexuality before and second it is evangelical Christians that are too blame for this current outbreak of concern. It is amazing to me that in this age of information, when certain sexual conduct fosters HIVaids we are so reluctant to address it; since when do personal appetites trump personal health?
Well I'm getting that look, that pencil tapping on the desk, all signs that my time is up. Timm has however promised that in any replies to your comments I will be given the chance to express my opinion - maybe? Thanks for listening.




3 comments:

  1. The fascinating thing about racism arguments for me, is how they've morphed since the mid-sixties when we were listening to and agreeing with MLK. Now, of course, where the vast, vast majority of people do not care about another person's melanin levels, racism has come to be defined as solely a dynamic of "power." Thus, only Caucasians, i.e. the dominant group, can exhibit racist behaviors. Indeed, the same behavior is only racist if perpetrated by the dominant group. Further, attempts at "color blindness" are now racist because they refuse to acknowledge the aforementioned disparity in power. This sort of attitude leads to preposterous assertions like "OJ's treatment at the hands of the police was 'racist.'"

    As for the death penalty in Africa, the Islamic influence (where homosexual liaisons are punishable by death) a is obviously the primary culprit, combined with carnage Aids causes, although in truth, Africa's Aids problem is due to rampant heterosexual prostitution and not gays. (I sponsor several Aids orphans in Uganda, so I keep up on this topic.) Of course, it's easier to blame the straw-man caricature of Christians, because we're not known for our murderous fatwas. (True story: Roland Emmerich, the Hollywood producer, refused to show the destruction of the Kaaba in Mecca in his new end-of-the-world epic 2012 because he feared having an Islamic contract out on his head. St. Peters in Rome was just fine, though.)

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're hitting hard topics here, Dominie... I didn't see the article on Google, but I think it's frightening that Google knows a heck of a lot about us and can then use that information to market more crap to us... it almost sounds like they're now considering blackmail which should really add to their profitability.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherm...
    Wow, that is really great how many AIDS kids you sponsor in Uganda. You are a model not only to your family but to the rest of us! Promiscuous sex in any form causes extremely dire consequences. Have you noted that the morning shows are now saying that Tiger Woods has a sexual illness; I only mention this because it seems that as a world we are willing to find an excuse for anything deviant of morality. Thanks again.

    Sage...
    The article on Google's CEO drew my attention because of the hypocrisy behind the article. Though I think there was a modicum of truth, certainly the biggest share of it was maybe a warning, 'anything is fair game, so watch your step.'

    ReplyDelete