Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Interesting facts....stats.


On the following blogsite, www.publiusforum.com/2009/11/30/obama-king-of-all-statists, is a graph siting how much all the presidents since 1901 have hired from the private sector. This is a very revealing graph. When you look at the graph and see those presidents highest in either noteable homeland or foreign accomplishments you find their private sector hiring higher. When you find those presidents who seemed to have the most difficulties you find lower private sector hiring. Now I'm not talking about popularity rating, although in looking at it again that might be a mitigating factor, I don't know. But what an interesting issue, not only one with political consequences, but economic implications also; it seems the most effective presidents, in at least one area, have a higher hiring from the private sector.
Under 30% fr. private sector - Kennedy, Obama
Under 40% fr. private sector - Teddy Roos., Taft,
Carter, Clinton
Under 50% fr. private sector - Harding, Coolidge, Hoover, LBJ, Ford
Over 50% fr. private sector - Wilson, FDR, Truman, Eisenhower, Nixon,
Reagan, GHWB, GWB
In some ways I think this justifies what I've contended all along in my ministry. Those churches that are more highly successful have a pastor that is a leader in spiritual matters, but business, administrative and economic matters are much more efficiently handled in the hands of those who work in the secular fields.

5 comments:

  1. Let me pull out some quotes from their argument. In talking about previous presidents the author said: "officials were from the private sector" and " half their cabinet officials with private sector experience."

    Then, in their attempt at blasting Obama, the author says: "That means that only about 7% of Barack Hussein Obama’s cabinet appointees ever worked in the private sector."

    There is some fuzzy math here, just because the cabinet was hired out of govt, doesn't mean they had never worked in the private sector. That may be true with their most recent job, but that doesn't mean they have no experience in the private sector. Are they using the same criteria in evaluating cabinet members?

    That said, I agree with your conclusions about congregations and think that a lot of Obama's blame still goes back on George W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sage
    I'm glad to hear you agree with my conclusions about congregations; and have no doubt that some fuzzy math is going on and agree that it would have been nice to have more specifics on how they arrived at their conclusions. I'm willing to allow that a lot of the economic blame goes to our 'first president with an MBA' .. but sometime you have to stop placing blame and start correcting. I'm neither a Repub. or Democrat, and quite truthfully fed up with the whole bunch, but its what we've got to work with, so I just pray for them all ... hey, God works miracles, right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree regarding business in churches being conducted by people with business experience. I'm aware of too many situations where pastors got in over their heads with the congregation's money and it caused a lot of heartache and unnecessary division within the body. There's a reason we each have our own gifts. Pastors should learn to utilize those within the congregation.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My comment from yesterday evidently disappeared. Anyway, I agree with Sage. I think I also added the point that Obama had two private sector jobs though the author of that piece claimed he never had any.

    My dream president would be one who hired only from the private sector and only those with relevant experience to their new positions. I'm not holding my breath that such a thing will happen in my lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherm...
    We pastors have HUGE ego's; but I'm afraid most of the time they are more for protection than efficiency ... and I totally agree with you pastors should be utilizing those w/i congregation that have needed skills. thanks.

    Ed...
    Sorry about that prior comment, I never received it. Maybe it would be nice to have an amendment that stipulated that a president 'must' hire from the private sector; but like you I'm not holding my breath. thanks.

    ReplyDelete