Monday, December 14, 2009

Weekend catch-ups

This weekend was special indeed. Saturday, the church board met at the 'Cracked Pepper' in Middleville, and did we have fun; a couple of times I was afraid T.G. was going to choke over laughing, but it was a good time of fellowship with the leaders, and of course the 'white elephant' gift exchange was an exercise to behold in itself as 'holy water' became one of the least sought after gifts along with a purple Christmas bulb!
Then at Sabbath's luncheon the teens hosted the prime-timers, this was great. Teens sat and ate with us prime-timers, then following the meal they brought out table games and what a joy it was to watch teens and prime timers enjoying each other's company! A fantastic idea, just the concept, different generations, often seen at odds in the world, totally enjoying each other ... we have to do it again .... that what's 'church family' should be doing always, there were so many lessons there for each generation to learn and rejoice in. Hats off to the youth group for this blessing!
Yesterday I came across a couple articles that drew my attention. First, 'Prince William to share Queen's duties: Treasury document reveals secret plan to make him 'the Shadow King.' Evidently, as the article pointed out the Queen is bypassing her son Charles to begin setting in motion the kingship for her grandson William. I think this is far-sighted wisdom by the Queen, by focusing on her grandson instead she is definitely trying to have a hand in what she believes will be best for Britians future leadership. There is a lesson for us in church, its not enough to say our teens/kids are tomorrow's church, they need to be already taking an active role, though often minimal, but learning to lead in God's family. Also the article, 'How did Tiger keep his secrets?' was interesting. It seems that those 'high-profile' individuals who treasure their privacy [which to a degree I understand] are those most often susceptible to big falls from grace. There seems to be the false sense that if I have enough money & prestige I can buy my privacy, which creates also the temptation that standards that apply to others, don't to me. Greater still is the conclusion I can buy whatever I want,and that most often results in a lack of accountability. The author of the article notes that those who play team sports are more likely to publicly scrutinized, and maybe that is good. Not long ago, David Letterman, another high profile person who greatly treasures his privacy fell from moral grace, again absent was public accountability. Though those of us, whose vocation/career is to serve others, live in glass houses and find it bothersome [from time to time] its not all bad .... for in being accountable we can also become reliable, trustworthy examples. Yet in the church we stubbornly resist 'spiritual accountability.' This is seen in finances, 'I don't want anyone to see what I'm giving?' if you're being faithful to what God is calling you to give, why the secrecy .... 'I don't think its anyone's business where I go?' why not, if Jesus would go with you, what's there to hide?' its no one's business what I watch on tv, why not ... if its not garbage that soils the soul, what's there to hide? I guess the bottom line is, we as Christians aren't real comfortable with accountability either - maybe we have more in common with David and Tiger in thought than we want to admit?

4 comments:

  1. I obviously respect and honor those God calls to be Pastors and teachers. But I also believe that calling comes with it an awesome responsibility. While pastors are human and will undoubtedly fail just like we all do, they must realize that such failures have the likelihood of adversely affecting the Christian walk of newer Christians. Obviously, my Christianity is not predicated upon whether a human is perfect or flawed, but rather on Christ. Unfortunately, many immature Christians don't make that distinction.

    BTW, I've always thought that most young people are pleasantly surprised when they realize they can learn something and have fun with senior citizens. My three recently spent an evening with my 80 year old mother looking at her slides from the forties, fifties and sixties. They didn't want it to end. I'm going to suggest to my daughter that her youth group do something similar to yours.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherm
    I wished it had been my idea. It was so much fun watching the teens come into the room with their plates full, not a one of them failed to stop at the door, look the room over [it was almost like you could hear then saying, 'now which old-timer do I want to sit by?']. The whole idea had come from the teens in the youth group, and to a person they were exemplary ... each one choose an adult they didn't know very well. Surprisingly I doubt the prime timers would have even come close to following their example. Strangely enough, we old timers are 'intimidated' by youth - they have so much energy, they are fixed into the deep ruts we are, they think differently ... it was undoubtedly a social and spiritual high! I'm sure your daughters youth group would love it, and those they reach out love it even more!
    thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherm
    In the prior comment I meant to say 'they aren't fixed into the deep ruts we are....sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thoughts on the lack of accountability that exists all around. It sounds like you had a full and fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete