Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Book, a movie and a happy Thanksgiving.


This past thanksgiving was indeed a time of being with family and giving thanks for God blessings both noticed and unnoticed. We had a pleasant trip to see my mom, and relatives, in Ohio then on to SWCOBL's family in Illinois. So my meanderings today will include a movie review, a book preliminary review [if there is such a thing] and some thanksgiving remembrances. If you should be too bored there's some really neat stuff on the drudge report.
First let me share with you a review of the movie, 'Blind Side.' My wife and I were able to see it yesterday[Monday] afternoon. It is a great movie, and I use the adjective great because it includes all those human virtues that show the better side of us ... caring, compassion, reaching out, sacrificing and going the extra mile. The story begins by introducing 'big mike,' a kid from the ghetto's who is reluctantly admitted into a christian high school because of the possibility of what he might be able to contribute to their sports program ... all of this under the guise of 'christian' compassion. Later in the movie true compassion is offered big mike in the form of being able to reside with a family, and as that family adopts him as one of their own, he begins to open up his world to them. A teacher at his high school is willing to go the second mile, and realizes that big mike is not stupid, he simply learns in a unique way and sets out to help him succeed. Two things were re-enforced in this movie .... never judge, and be willing to look beyond what appears to be. Interestingly enough [and I'll try not to spoil the movie for you] adverse circumstances are the catalyst for big mike's opening up his heart to not only receiving but sharing, and his final decision on what he will do with his future results from the joy of being accepted, not for what he can do but for who he truly is. This is also a movie with family values, for instance the Thanksgiving dinner segment - that is one of the best family teaching moments in the whole movie! This is taken from a true story ..... 'big mike' is now a two veteran NFL offensive tackle with the Baltimore Ravens. With all the disappointments we're seeing in the professional sports world this is a bright spot ...........................its a have-to-see movie for every parent who has kids involved in school extra curricular activities. It reminds me in many ways of the movie 'Radio'...
Now on the 'preliminary' book review of 'The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt & the Fire That Saved AMerica' by Timothy Egan. This is the story of how Teddy Roosevelt, and few chosen, dedicated conservationists fight big business tycoons and industries, and are able to turn a national catastrophe into a publicity event that preserved for us our national parks system. The issue that grabbed my attention was the fact that Teddy, and his closest comrade, were both born in wealthy families; however their shared love for nature compelled them to fight the big interests that were not concerned about conservation or preserving our countries natural wonders for 'everyone' to be able to enjoy. I've almost finished with part 1:In On Creation, and look forward to reading the rest of the book. Early in my ministry I was informed by a Chemistry Prof, who happened to be our local church's missionary president that he strongly felt Christians had been extremely poor managers of our planet, that Christians had not fulfilled God's command to take good care of it. The older I get the more I realize that Professor was definitely correct in his assessment of our lousy stewardship of this earth. Maybe we need to save that seemingly inconsequential species from becoming extinct - maybe we shouldn't cut down so many trees - maybe we should consider wind power - maybe our exhaust fumes should be more closely regulated ..... who can answer all these questions; maybe as 'good stewards' we should at least begin to 'honestly' ask the questions ... God is watching! ENJOY
Egan, Timothy. 'The Big Burn,' Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Boston, MS. ISBN:9780618968411
Now for our thanksgiving adventures. First we stopped for Thanksgiving lunch at my mom's house and there we enjoyed all the traditional foods, turkey, ham, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn and deviled eggs. Then we finished with brownies and pie. The pumpkin pie had real pumpkin and was delicious, while the peach pie was made from cheap dough and filled cheap pie filling, it wasn't such a neat experience. The fellowship with grandma and some nieces and a nephew were delightful and so merrily we did the dishes, gave a round of kisses and were on our way to Illinois. We had stopped earlier in Battle Creek at a Crackle Barrel and purchased a couple of books on tape, so we listened to them until we arrived at our designated hotel in Illinois around 8PM. We spent some time visiting with our oldest daughter and her family in their room and around 10:30 called it a night. I have to put in a plug here for HOmewood Suites [a subsidiary of the Hilton] for the room was one of the finest, it even had two large screen tv's so that my wife and I could both watch what we wanted. The next day being Black Friday was spent a lot of the time dodging traffic and I watched football while my wife, with her sister, ran last minute errands. We spent the afternoon and early evening with our daughter and family; they are from the deep south and it was good to get to be with them. Later that night we sat around in the hotel lobby playing trivia; and though I was on my son-in-laws team I did my best to help out the women-folk, much to the dismay of my s-i-l; but to the delight of everyone else ... it somehow made the game more fun!! Then came Saturday, this was the big day for my wive's mother/dad's 40 wedding anniversary and I took it upon myself to greet the guests inside the lobby doors and direct them to where they needed to go ..... and I also greeted people coming in to make reservations - it was a blast. The hotel registrar told me how she'd like them to be greeted and so I did! - they said they would employ me, but they couldn't pay me, so I rather reluctantly, but graciously declined their offer. It was a fun party, all the kids[4] and most of the grandkids [couldn't count them all] were in attendance and many of their friends from church. After the party all the kids[and spouses] took mom and dad to supper; then my wife's baby sister and husband came to our suite and we went down to the pool and had a good time. This was really unusual for me, spending Saturday night staying up late and not having to preach the next morning - think I need to try this more often![God doesn't read blogs, does he?] We enjoyed church the next morning and took mom and dad out to lunch before getting on the road back towards Michigan. Finally we reached Ft.Wayne, and there dined at one of my wife's favorite all-time restaurants [at least in Ft.Wayne] and stayed in a hotel. Monday morning we went shopping at the mall and I read books for a little over two hours in Barnes/Noble, and actually walked out of that store without buying a book!!!!! yep, I still can't believe that happened and nearly sent my precious wife into cardiac arrest .... I hate to surprise her like that so I don't think I'll ever do that again. [come out of B/N empty handed] After that we watched the movie I just told you about and went to CHICK-FIL-A for something to eat before coming home, neither of us had had anything except popcorn and were a little hungry ............ there were a number of restaurants in the area that we had never eaten at, and my wife kinda wanted to try one of them out, but she also knew how I love chick-fil-a. Finally in Battle Creek we returned the book tapes and continued on home, arriving safely, thanking God for his blessings.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review on Blindside. That's on my list of things to do during my copious free time these holidays.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete