Monday, December 14, 2009

Chicken, Mac & Cheese Casserole


For lunch today, I baked a fantastic [if I have to say so myself; especially since I'm the only one that has tasted it] chicken, mac and cheese casserole. I combined ingredients from a couple recipes, then added my own touch.
Ingredients:
*1 pkge Kraft Velveeta Shells & cheese [must use Kraft; best on the market]
*1 can cream of chicken soup
*2 cups cooked chicken, finely cubed
*1 tablespoon oil oil
*1/2 sweet onion finely chopped [Vandalia]
*1/4 cup finely chopped yellow or red pepper [don't use green pepper here]
*1/4 cup finely chopped celery
*Italian [or favorite] bread crumbs
*1 teaspoon paprika
*1 teaspoon parsley
*dash of oregano [I use oregano in about everything]
Preparation:
Saute sweet onion, celery and pepper in oil [about 5 minutes or until soft]
Prepare shells and cheese as directed;
Stir in same pot w/mac and cheese cream of chicken soup and cubed chicken, add sauted vege's
Spoon mixture into greased glass casserole dish
Now sprinkle with bread crumbs
Cover lightly with foil, and cook for 25minutes in 350 degree oven
After 25 minutes remove foil, sprinkle top with mexican style cheddar jack
[cheddar & monterey jack cheeses]
Place back in oven still at 350 for 25 minutes
super delicious - serve!
suggestions: if you like sour cream like I do you may want to put about 2tablespoons in the
mix; and the next time I am going to add a can of diced tomatoes.
ENJOY

2 comments:

  1. This sounds disturbingly similar to my grad school meal of choice/necessity, except with the following modifications:

    One box generic Mac & Cheese, Kraft being too expensive. (I paid 5 cents per box at the "food no one else will eat" store.)

    One can of generic tuna in water. (Same store, 25 cents.)

    One handful of generic frozen peas. (16 oz for 65 cents; a solid ten handfuls.)

    Potato chip crumbs from the bottom of the bag of mostly consumed generic potato chips. (32 oz bag, half of which was crumbs anyway, one dollar.)

    Cook mac and cheese according to directions. Mix with tuna and peas and place in disposable aluminum 8 X 8 cake pan, which I washed until it weathered away.

    Top with potato chip crumbs.

    Bake at 350 for twenty minutes.

    Serve with generic saltines or the heels of generic sandwich loaves kept for this purpose.

    Wash down with two Old Milwaukee beers. ($2.50 per 12 or if I was flush from Teaching Assistant pay, $4.50 per case.)

    Let's see what the government thinks of that, although it'll probably appear on school menus next semester.

    Absent the beer, of course.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah,hah, hah, hah:`) .......... I can't quit laughing Sherm. That's is great! ONe of these days - one of these days I'm gonna fix it with those ingredients... maybe? then again if our economy starts going south, your recipe might even be toooooo expensive

    ReplyDelete