Monday, April 18, 2011

A white holy monday!

I woke up seeing a blanket of snow on the ground. Though I am not a fan of snow it still seemed appropriate somehow; to begin Holy Week with a covering of snow. I remembered that on Holy Monday Jesus went into the Temple and cleaned out its corrupt money changers and animal sacrifces that were ripping off the people. For many who had only the day before proclaimed him king and really looked forward to his starting a revolution this cleaning of the Temple signaled a positive move in that direction, but they were mistaken. Just as I am when I often misinterpret God's work as focusing on me; its so easy to yield to the temptation of 'its all about me.' I too failed to learn the lesson of the cursing of the fig tree on the way to the Temple cleansing. How much alike the fig trees deceit and the crowds shallow understanding of the Jesus entrance into the Holy City.
Still I am amazed by the parade - by Jesus participation in it. It is the only recorded time in Jesus' earthly ministry that he allows others, and participates in, their calling him king. There is a uniqueness to his allowing others to proclaim him king when you think about some of those in that choir .. those who had been blind but now could see, definitely their proclamation of him as king held a much deeper definition than those who could see but were spiritually blind; or the lame who Jesus had touched and healed, perhaps they were the cheerleaders singing and dancing at the front of the parade, dancing with the same inner joy as King David dancing before the Ark of Covenant in his underwear in front of all Israel; the leper who had been ostracized from all of society and worship, then Jesus had washed away his disease, and he now rubbed shoulders with those who refused to acknowledge the spots of sin in their souls - the difference between he and them was that the leper was now clean.
So lets not generalize too much when we call the crowd fickle ... on the whole they were, but there were still those in the crowd whose praise was authentic; and perhaps Jesus was giving them a chance to freely exalt him. Then the question for me is, 'how authentic is my praise?' 'how freely do I proclaim him king?' 'where do you see me in that crowd - am I cheer leading in the front - am I secluded somewhere in the middle, hard to pick out, I don't want to be noticed - am I even in the crowd; am I standing along the road watching the parade? .....oh, and where are looking for me from??

1 comment:

  1. The excitement of Palm Sunday to the chats of crucify, in just a few days... our race is screwed up!

    ReplyDelete