Monday, April 25, 2011

Mr Friends: Here and There

This morning I attended a funeral for my friend Dave. He and his wife Pam are good friends, a couple of years ago they attended a series on 'Grieving' and their support was great. They have helped literally hundreds of people through their divorce-care classes at their church. Their church is not only where they attend but also were a very good clergy friend of mine pastors - more on that later.

There seemed to be something paradoxical about a funeral the day after Easter - life and then death - yet therein lies the truth ..his resurrection makes our death the gateway into eternal life. Dave's favorite verse was 'The Lord is my light and my salvation - in whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid?'[Psa.27:1] This verse reminds me of the apostle Paul's mocking death, 'O death where is your sting, where is your victory?' Many people recalled precious memories of Dave's impact in their life; In the funerals I've officiated at over 30+ years of ministry I have heard about the impact those who have passed on have had in loved ones lives.
As I was looking through the folder we were given, my eyes glued to the verse of a poem on its inside cover ... 'But you didn't go alone, for part of us went with you.' In all my years of officiating at funerals and the untold number of funerals I have attended, never [given my fast becoming spotty memory I probably shouldn't use that word never] have I heard a message based on what, we, the living have given to the deceased .... "I remember Grandpa, and/or Grandma giving me this; I remember my husband or wife doing this; I remember my good friends caring; etc, etc. but nothing about what we have given them .......... I'm not real sure, but I'm thinking in the future I'm going to find an occasion to build on these words - it certainly presents a whole new concept for me!

My friend Jeff is the pastor of the largest church in the area, and he's been here over 30 years. We jokingly refer to him, from our ministerial group, as the Archbishop! He officiated at Dave's funeral, such a kind, caring and compassionate pastor - if the Lord takes me home in the next few years I'd be honored for him to do my transfer into eternity. He told me before the funeral that Easter Sunday, in both their central location here in town, and a new start in town not far from us, they had held eight services [five he had preached in], they ministered to over 3,000 and there had been over 30 new converts to Christ - THAT IS EASTER!!

I want to close this reflection with a statement that one of Dave's daughter-in-laws made ... 'Nothing loved is ever lost'[end quote] ... Let me rephrase that, I recognize her intent here, but there are many things LOST having been loved, relationships especially, her step father and mom had ministered to those who had loved and lost; but let me say, 'nothing loved is ever entirely lost' ... for even in love gone astray there are things that have been gained that can never be replaced, even by a new, a greater love. Love itself changes us, love, no matter how seemingly insignificant or ended does not leave us the same. And that's just like our risen Lord's love ... our circumstances may not seem to change, our relationships may not seem to grow more intimate, our illness doesn't go away[as Dave's didn't],
hope seems no brighter ... but God's love is ALWAYS there!

Thanks Dave, for the light of your funeral, I'm afraid I have to admit you gave me much more than I ever gave you ... maybe that truth will help me to be more thoughtful, more considerate and more intentional in all the relationships I share here and now?!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure he'd be grateful for your companionship, as well, over the years. My sympathies for your loss.

    ReplyDelete