Monday, April 4, 2011

A little corner of the world

While surfing the internet this morning I came across a small town in Michigan that used to have the 'family' name before it was incorporated. It was named after its first settler, who also bore the 'family' name, and had come from New York, after being born in Pennsylvania. Coming up against a genealogical hurtle far to big for me I've enlisted the help of the 'family genealogical genius.' I hope he can find something and it would really be neat if this was a long-distance relative. I know that there was branch of my family that came to Pennsylvania from the old world, just don't know where 'they or I' fit into the larger picture - so I'm anxiously awaiting his verdict. Another neat thing about this discover is that this small village is less than a couple hours from where I live; so if it is a relative, I will look forward to a genealogical day trip - probably while the 'good wife' is working, since it won't thrill her either way.

Another note of discovery was that while researching I came across another family name who I'm sure must be related to the pioneer mentioned above because he was born in New York, and on his way to the gold fields of California passed thru the village in Michigan ...... and he had an Esquire after his name. I've kinda wanted one of those titles, don't know what they mean or how you get one, but they look sorta distinguished. The closest I've discovered I come to royalty is from my mothers side when I found out I'm related to 'brief' royalty on the English throne. Something like ..... gotta get this right, its my claim to fame! I'm related to Agnes Randolph, the 4th Countess of Moray. She is the 4th great grandmothers of wife of the
12 great grandfather of wife of 2 cousin 1x removed; now it makes my head dizzy just thinking about the possibility of sorting that out, let alone trying. I forgot to mention that Agnes nickname was 'Black Agnes' so I'd probably black out trying to sort it out... but hey, when its your claim to fame you have to flaunt it!!!!
Have a great day

No comments:

Post a Comment