Friday, April 22, 2011

Maundy Thursday w/Episcopal's

Arriving to worship at the Maundy Thursday service at Emmanuel Episcopal Church I received some 'questioning' smiles, what the Nazarene pastor doing in an Episcopal worship hour? There's a loose historical thread there, but that would take far to long to explain; plus I love liturgy and symbolism. But pastor Gretchen have me a big smile and a big hug; we're friends and it was good to worship together, the times when fellow clergymen in town can worship together are rare, and I always try to take advantage of the situation.
The worship began with the music director playing and singing a delightful song, it certainly set the mood for the service. Then we went into liturgies and singing. There is a part of the service where foot-washing is practiced but Gretchen had told me ahead of time I didn't have to do that - then when the actual moment arrived, I began to debate the issue between myself; then I figured if I had to debate it that much, I wouldn't be in the right frame of mind to participate. It was however interesting to observe the faces of those who did; some were really casual about it which disheartened me, others were very reverent which seemed the attitude one should have. There was a young man [he was a mongoloid w/m.s] and he was so into both
washing the feet of the person in front of him, and then having his feet washed - this was so touching to me, and I'm sure some others. Later on the way out of church a lady I was leaving beside said to me, [quote]"I see I wasn't the only one who didn't want my feet washed. I'm just too old fashioned I guess, how about you?"
I didn't respond w/the words I wanted too - the Spirit was telling me to be more graceful, because I wanted to say, what in the world does old fashioned have to do with it, the Episcopal church didn't just recently decide to add this ritual, and/or I'm sure Jesus wasn't worried about how old fashioned we might feel when he gave the command .. that's rather self centered? - so I simply said, 'well, I just didn't feel right for the moment!' Later I thought, hope I didn't offend her and she sensed I was playing off a ciasiles advertisement....
We also shared communion with bread and drink from the common cup. I've always enjoyed drinking from the common cup - there's something spiritually enriching about it .. as though I'm MORE one with God! I noted that a couple of people were trying to compromise ... you know, not drink from the cup, but partake of it ... I've noted this in other celebrations where a common cup is shared, ... they dip the piece of bread into the wine than take both together. Here's the really gross part about that compromise, someone had dropped a small piece of bread in the wine - come on folks, get real. I've never heard of anyone catching any virus, baceteria, etc. from the common cup - matter of fact, I'm convinced its almost, now note I said almost, blasphemous to say so. Good heavens, don't we know that God can prevent any such thing when we are celebrating in the manner in which he commanded ... oops I just thought, maybe they did have little plastic communion cups at the last supper - no, they were probably glass .... and I've been wrong all these years.
The neatest part of the celebration that I really enjoyed was two-fold....first the stripping of the altar. I had teased Gretchen as our pastors meeting on Wednesday and told her it was the first time I had ever heard of such a thing and wondered it they stripped the varnish off the altar - she graciously laughted, then said, 'maybe, guess you'll have to come and see - which I did, and no they didn't. It
was neat though as the appointed ones took things from the altar we were kneeling and reading Psalm 22. I don't know if you're acquainted with Psalm 22, but it is the most appropriate Psa. for stripping an altar. ... I was really touched.
Following the 'stripping of the altar' we were lead out of the sanctuary, and while walking out the lights were slowly being turned off; we were led into a small room where there was another altar, with a cross in the middle, the bread and wine left from communion placed on both sides and two candles lighted. There were flowers all over that small room - it truly smelled of a garden. Blocking off the room were dividers, like Japanese dividers only without any pictures ... then people would sign up to 'Watch For An Hour' until noon Good Friday when they would have another worship. When everyone had stepped away and the two people who were scheduled to watch for the next hour were there I stayed for a few extra minutes and really relished the whole experience. It's to bad that in America we're just so darn busy - thanks Gretchen, that you and your people allowed me to be one of you for that evening, you've certainly enriched
my Easter this year.

I have also attended the combined [First Presyb. & Frist U.M.] noon Good Friday remembrance worship with the 'good wife,' it lasted for a half-hour so that people could come over their lunch hour.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the Presbyterians and Methodist short-circuited things a little, when compared to the Episcopalians... I mean, getting people out before their stomach's started growling... :)

    ReplyDelete