Friday, April 29, 2011

Life in the Shelter..........

My cousin's good wife went to Florida to pick up his folks, and on the way back they got caught in the tornado which ripped through Ringgold, Ga. It is an amazing story of God's presence and protection. Now I want to share with her story from yesterday; I never cease to be amazed at God's working among us - and when I cease to be amazed then I am probably a reprobate in my relationship with Him.

Well, we are certainly having an adventure. We are so blessed. There are many of the local people that are also in our shelter. It appears that we will be here another night anyway. The search and rescue efforts are still going on. They brought in heavy equipment to move some of the fallen structures. One of the school administrators with whom I spoke this morning, just came back to the shelter this afternoon. He said that 2 of their students and a retired principal were killed and that the death toll will be more than the 7 that is currently being reported for Ringgold. One of the students was in one of the restaurants across from our motel. Our motel was the Super 8 which they said collapsed. I don't know if that is the correctly reported motel in that they reported 3 stories and it only had two. They told us they would not let anyone in until the search and rescue is finished. We have been treated very well, considering the circumstances. There are about 125 here in the high school in Ft Oglethorpe. We are about 10 miles from Ringgold. They moved us so far because this area had power. By midnight last night the Red Cross had set up cots in the gym for us all to lay down. This morning and noon the school cafeteria ladies fixed breakfast and lunch. (All the schools in the area have been cancelled, since most of the roads have issues with downed tree limbs and wires.) Tonight one of the local restaurants offered to cater the dinner. Local people have donated a room full of new and used clothing, which volunteers have then sorted in two other classrooms by gender and size. Water, pop, and food has been donated. If we had twice the number of people here for a week, we couldn't drink the water that has been brought in. There are is a large number of local people coming in for food, clothes, and some shelter. I think tonight is not going to be a good night with the increase in population. The school ran a bus over to the Walmart so we could pick up anything we needed, but we really didn't need much. This morning they gave us all comfort bags that had wash clothes, soap, toothpaste, deodorant, toothbrush and comb. They also brought in towels. I took a shower this afternoon in the girls locker room. I had gone "shopping" in the clothes store. Picked up new underwear, used jeans, top, and socks. My feet have been so cold. I was wearing capris and sandals. I bought cheap canvas shoes at Walmart and with the "new clothes" I am much warmer. Cricket and Verizon are both here with cell phones and laptops with internet which is why I am able to send you this email. Now the best part is that there is a whole library of books here at the high school, so you know that I can be content for awhile, if I can get enough sleep. We had quite a symphony of snorers last night. Maybe I will be tired enough to sleep tonight. I am really hopeful that they will let us go over tomorrow and we can at least get some driving done tomorrow. Well, Cricket is wanting their computer back. I'll update you as I can.

She concluded her article with 'We are so blessed!'

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad yours are OK. It's harrowing to go through something like that away from home, but the good news, literally, is that we're never "away" from God's protection and Grace.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete