Saturday, April 23, 2011

She was the most beautiful woman........

‘I don’t care much for this railroad job, I think I’m going
back to Unicoi’ Oscar told his younger brother Chester.

‘The boss told me today he really likes my work and thinks
I have a future on the rails.’ Chester replied.

Oscar paused for a moment as though he might be thinking
About staying then said, “Well, I’m leaving in the morning
so you better hurry up and decide.” ‘We have three days left
on our rent, what will it hurt to let me think about it,’ Chester
pleaded.

‘I’ll not stay more than two days longer,’ Oscar firmly
Replied. So you work two more days on the railroad, as of
Now I’m finished. I think I’ll spend my time waiting for you
To make up mind in Shorty’s short order bar.

Well since it looks like I might be leaving I’m going to treat
myself to a steak dinner at the Smith hotel tonight. I never
have eaten there and I’ve heard so much about it; do you
want to join me, I’ll buy? Nope, like I said before its Shorty’s
for me. He could buy a number of beers for what Chester
was going to spend for a steak.

Chester was a bit nervous sitting down in the Smith Hotel’s
Restaurant, and he noticed that most of those already there
were certainly dressed less casual than he was, maybe he
should just join Oscar at Shorty’s, but something keep him
seated. Then she appeared, one of the most beautiful women
he had ever laid eyes on, tall, slim with light brunette hair…
Though she was about ten years younger than he was, he
thought he could see reflections of his mother when she had
been younger. Of course his mother Nancy was still quite
attractive and it hadn’t been that hard for her to remarry
ole Ike after his father, whom he’d never seen, died in the
Brushy Mountain State Prison two months after he was
born.

‘What would you like tonight sir,’ she said bringing him
out of his daydream. ‘Uh, uh I’ll take a steak please’ he
Was finally able to summon the strength to respond. ‘Well
Sir, we have a couple of steaks, which would you like.’
Ordering a simple steak was getting a lot harder than he
ever remembered it being; … finally he had placed his
order and she had returned to the kitchen.

When his heart slowed down enough for him to gain
his wits he thought, ‘if she works here, there is no way I’m
returning home south with Oscar.’ And didn’t she mention
that her mother would cook his steak just perfectly, so if
her mom worked here too then they must live in the
community.

Grandpa Chester would stay while his brother Oscar returned to
Tennessee. Such is the short saga of my grandpa meeting grandma
Banks; much of the story is made up, but there are a few facts
~both grandpa and his brother were from Unicoi, Tennessee
~grandpa was 11 years older than grandma when they
were married. I have a copy of their wedding certificate
~grandma’s mom, Hattie, my great grandma did cook at
the Smith Hotel; and they both lived in town.
~grandpa and his brother both worked on the Wabash
~whether grandpa was older or younger depends on which
family legend and whose facts you believe
~there was a Smith Hotel across the street from the railroad
depot. Its no longer there
~A brick building with a short order bar and take out is still
next door to where the Smith Hotel was, but I made up
its name.
~again, depending on which family legend you believe, my
grandpa was born two months before my great grandpa
William died in Brushy Mountain prison in TN.
~the story is documented that William shot a neighbor; Wm. always
claimed it was accidental, and official transcripts list his
crime as Involuntary Manslaughter.
~great grandma Nancy did remarry Ike Briggs when grandpa
Chester was 12 yrs. old.
*Mom shared with me the basics of this story last Thursday when I was
visiting with her, and grandma reaffirmed it.
*Grandpa’s first job on the railroad was as a brakeman and he rode most of the time in the caboose while he held that job. As a child I got to ride one time in the caboose for a short distance, as the railroad didn’t like passengers back there. Then grandpa became a Conductor, and watched over my sister and I on a number of trips…on the trips to Illinois to see our aunt Kitty in Decatur, Illinois, grandpa would put us on the train and give us careful instructions.
*I am the proud owner of my Grandpa's Conductor hat,[with the original tag in it from the uniform company] and the rain cap that goes over it; I also have many of his uniform 'badges' and Wabash button covers, and the ticket clipper he used. Along with a couple envelopes and a dozen Wabash Railroad #1 & #3 pencils.
*Decatur is also the ‘good wife’s’ home town.
*Coincidentally my aunt Kitty’s husband, uncle Kent also
was an office worker for the Wabash Railroad.
….life certainly has its crazy quirks!

No comments:

Post a Comment