Monday, April 11, 2011

A most amazing mystery

Not long ago I wrote an article about my mother's family and how we had stumbled upon where they had lived .. not far from our hometown. Following that discovery I've come upon an even more amazing mystery - and quite possibly a verifiable fact. My mother and one surviving aunt [relatives by marriage - both married brothers - not by blood] grew up in the same church, while unknown to both of them each had a great, great uncle that knew each other..both uncles were from the paternal side of their families. Discovering the obituary of my mother's great, great uncle [who was a U.B. minister]there was mention of a person by the last name belonging to my aunt's paternal side of the family, and he too was a U.B. minister. Both great, great uncles had relatives in the same township....how neat to find out that unknown to both their descendants they were probably pretty good friends. Yet in the short breadth of four generations the connection was lost, or reconnected in new relationships. Any ancient connection that can be discovered enlarges our sense of roots!
So without hesitation I called my mother to alert her to this possible new development and let her know that I was searching to verify it ... and there was this short odd silence on her end, finally, 'okay??????????' and again Mom failed to be surprised or delighted. She did finally add, 'Son, if that makes you happy and fills some gaps you're looking for then that is good,' but as for myself it doesn't matter.

4 comments:

  1. Your mother's reaction sounds like my dad's. He knew the stories but saw no need as he got older to add to them. If I had more time, I ponder the philosophical reason behind that.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my mother's constant comments ever since she's been aware [and can remember]of my interest in family genealogy runs along the theme, 'try to hide our dirty laundry.' I can't convince her dirty laundry is for cleaning, and even if it doesn't get cleaned it makes the clean laundry look even brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had more stories from my family. My mother certainly didn't like to "air the family's laundry" out in public.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've learned that some people love genealogy and others don't understand. I guess that is why those of us who are smitten by it fall for it hard.

    ReplyDelete