Saturday, April 23, 2011

United Transportation Union Commemorative Medal

Among my grandpa Chester's artifacts I have a United Transportation Union Commemorative Medal. It must be brass because the back of it is starting to get green on it. I don't know much about it so I'll include this message from a little paper in the case ....

"To commemorate this event, a medallion has been designed highlighting the event for prosperity. On the face of the medal are impressions of the chief executives of the four founding unions - the men who are recognized as the unity architects.Impressions of Charles Luna, H.E.Gilbert, C.F.Lane and N.P.Speirs, showing the original dates of the founding of their respective unions, are shown. On the reverse side are stars denoting each of the states and provinces in which UTU members labor and live. The medal is considered unique because of its original design."

I had to laugh because my grandpa Chester was a die-hard democrat, and my father was a die-hard republican and both belonged to unions; and for the sake of family peace they tried to stay away from political discussion between them; at least as far as I can recollect. Its quite possible given how head strong both men were they had reached a prior gentleman's agreement before my memory kicks in?!

2 comments:

  1. I'm back after weekend travels. I trust you had a joyous Easter celebration.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a wonderful Easter celebration. My wife and I went to Red Lobster after the AM service, and then went to see 'The Kings Speech.' Both of our parents live hours away, and it seemed like such a long distance for a two-way trip in one day. It was beautiful and we had a wonderful 'just being together' on a special day.

    Glad you're back, hope you and yours had a joyous Easter also. timm

    ReplyDelete