Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Devil Amongst The Lawyers

Sharon McCrumb is one of my favorite fiction writers; until last summer when I participated in my wife [and daughter-in-laws] rummage sales, I had nearly every novel she ever wrote.
Sharon could make the Applachians come alive with music. You could literally visualize the fauna and the land of those mountains, and you either feel in love with or hated the people she presented to you. I hadn't heard about her for some time and thought maybe she had stopped writing, then I saw the book on the Librarys' 'new' shelf: 'The Devil Among Lawyers.'
I can't say enough about this book, matter of fact I was up at 2AM this morning finishing it. Although you're lead to believe the book is about a trial, its more about the reporters writing about the trial ... the big-city reporters and a 'hill' reporter getting his first chance, which doesn't turn out the way I had hoped. But the trial over and years later Sharon takes us to a scene that brought back memories of having read her prior books ........... and sure enough, there is a scene that is almost phrase for phrase from an earlier book she had written. She is quoting the same scene only with a new character but related to the earlier person ... I almost dropped my jaw for as I began to read it it was like, 'hey, I've been here before,'
'I smelled the same pie on that old iron oven' .. I've heard about the 'white cat'on the porch. Its a great read, and hardly anything turns out the way you're lead to believe!
ENJOY
MCCRUMB,Sharon. THE DEVIL AMONGST THE LAWYERS. New York, New York. St. Martins Press. June 2010 ISBN:9780312558161

If you like novels about the Applachians, and/or were born in the South you will find this a book you can't put down. Also in a couple of places Sharon drops some
opinions that speak to today's circumstances in an almost unnoticeable way.

No comments:

Post a Comment