Friday, October 9, 2009

The Merry Misogynist


Before I begin this book review let me say that I wish, like Sage, I had my book reviews indexed; I'll have to tackle that task on another rainy day. I don't believe I have ever reviewed one of Colin Cotterill's fiction novels on Dr. Siri, a coroner in Laos. It is a very entertaining, and extremely informative series about an old doctor, who after the revolution plans on retiring. But the party however has not official coroner, and even though Dr. Siri knows nothing about being a coroner he is handed the job, and must learn while he goes. The author, Colin Cotterill, lives in Thailand with his family, but did one time live in Laos. Since I'm not a historian of that part of the world I'm not really sure when Colin is giving us a true glimpse of the culture in Laos or making fun of it, but in either case its an interesting geological journey. A coworker at SWCOBL's place of work lent her the books and I've read all of them, and must say I anxiously anticipate the author next novel. Perhaps these books also interest me because of the time period, which was close to the Vietnam war. Last night I finished the most recent one, 'The Merry Misogynist' and enjoyed it. They are short novels and I can usually read them in only two days. The novels in the series are: 'The Coroner's Lunch; Thirty-Three Teeth; Disco for the Departed; Anarchy and Old Dogs; Curse of the Pogo Stick and the latest The Merry Misogynist.'
Cotterill, Colin. New York, New York. Soho Press, Inc. ENJOY


3 comments:

  1. My wife, in her capacity as a college instructor, has become acquainted with a number of Laotian students. They are a very shy, quiet people and their culture is so much different from those of other countries in SE Asia. I'd really like to go there sometime.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherm
    I'm not sure I'd like to go there,I've not had the personal acquaintences like your wife; but I have immensely enjoyed this series and its cultural tastes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to go there--i wish all my life was as organized as my books--and seeing the title of this blog, I had to jump right over and read what it's all about...

    ReplyDelete