Thursday, August 12, 2010

'Whispers'

I've finished the new book by Rev. Bill Hybels that I got at the Global Leadership Summit last week. I enjoyed Bill's book that speaks about being spiritually sensitive and hearing the still soft whisper of God, about blocking out the ambient noise of the world and even of our own thoughts, and then having the faith, the courage to respond to that voice. Bill goes through the number of times in his life when the 'whisper' of God has changed his life, the direction of his life, and his faith; he has been honest enough to admit the times when God's voice went unrecognized or simply disregarded. There is a section in the book where he relates stories that others emailed him about hearing God's 'whisper' in their lives. Overall it was a good book, I was most impressed with the powerful first chapter about the young boy Samuel in his first hearing God's 'whisper' in his life as he began to serve in the temple. Somehow, or at least of me, the tempo and passion of that first chapter wasn't quite kept through the rest of the book, but I deeply appreciate Hybel's writing it. It was an adventure of faith for him. I hope that you'll take the time to read it, but as you're reading it, listen for the still soft 'whisper' .... it just might interrupt your reading?!
THE POWER OF A WHISPER: Hearing God, Having the Guts to Respond. Bill Hybels.
Zondervan Publishers, Grand Rapids, MI. 2010 ENJOY

The next book I'm staring to read is 'The Land Between: Finding God in Difficult TRansitions.' by Rev. Jeff Manion, Ada, MI. Zondervan Publishers. 2010 Jeff's seminar at the Global LEadership Summit came from his book; its describes the place where I have been for the last three years [and still am] in my spiritual journey, so its especially meaningful to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment