Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Rodger

I named a friendly office field mouse Rodger. Rodger was exceptionally plump for a field mouse, and I suspect he had been in the church quite some previous to his taking up quarters in my office. Field mice are usually quite shy and rarely make appearances if it can be helped, but Rodger was different. Normally I don't wear shoes while working in my office, and Rodger became so bold as to run just past my toes as he played his games and searched for bits of food. I cautioned him a couple times about running so close to my feet, I was afraid that he might mistake one of my toes for a piece of food, and then I would really be outa-sorts. But there was something about Rodger's character that was just plain rebellious. Of course it didn't help that my Office Manager found the whole incident rather humorous, for I'm sure Rodger heard her laughter and that just egged him on. There was no doubt that not only because of his size, but his arrogant attitude he was not a friend or relative of Stuart Little, though he certainly could have profited from Stuart's reluctance to impose himself on anyone. Finally, after failure to acknowledge repeated warning, I went to the hardware store and bought a couple of shelters for Rodger to stay in, I even provided some easily attainable peanut butter for him. Well it took less than an hour for Rodger to make himself at home in the quarters ... I don't know if he was able to taste any of the peanut butter or not, but its his fault,I tried to work out a deal with him. My Office Mgr. was quite concerned that I didn't seem to share any remorse at Rodgers demise, and I must admit I was a bit hardcore, but Rodger chose his pathway in life, just like we all do. I am cheered by the fact that Rodger was not a parent and left no little ones behind; and evidently not too close to any relatives since none of them have bothered to show any concern and scope out the office to see where Rodger is. Maybe compromise in life isn't such a bad thing if it will help you to keep breathing?!

No comments:

Post a Comment