Monday, August 23, 2010

Men's retreat

What a great time we had this previous weekend at our annual men's retreat! We fished, a couple men swam and we sat around the campfire trying to one-up each other's stories. Then on Sunday morning, after breakfast, we had a Men's devotional on the story of Ananias & Saul [Acts 9]. We were very successful in getting to know each other even better, which was a wonderful antidote to some very poor fishing results. One of our men was adamant about fishing from a boat - the only problem, the boats at the campsite had no anchors so one could stay still in one spot, the lake was really a big pond [4.9 acres] and so the incoming spring water always kept the water moving. Speaking of moving in the water, at last year's men's retreat I swamped a canoe with two other men, lost my glasses - some carp is probably wearing them now, completely ruined my cell phone, and lost what little pride I had left. My 'good wife' was quite adamant about my making sure if I went out in a boat to take the new accessories off my person ... well I went out in a row-boat, how could I swamp a row-boat, no need to leave anything behind - who knows I might need to call 911. My friend [who was brave enough to go with me] and I were bringing the row boat back to shore, the bow was barely on shore and my friend putting our life jackets back on the shore rack when I stood up in the back of the boat[still in the water] and yeppers over I went .... however I was able to only get 2/3 of my body wet, my cellphone was on the side that didn't get wet and so was my wallet, my glasses were never in danger ..so I can not only swamp a canoe, I can do it in a row boat also. My good buddy was most gracious and even offered to accept some of the blame, but I wouldn't hear of his stealing some of my growing reputation with boating skills. We certainly didn't fast that weekend as not only are most of us that go on retreat fairly good cooks, but several of our wife's [misled by thinking we couldn't make it on our own] made a couple cakes, and many different salads ... and we are doing nothing that would persuade them in the future to have less pity on us. A great time by all!!

4 comments:

  1. I'm making a mental not to never go boating with you unless I am needing to cool down and wearing swim trunks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed.... I don't know that the opportunity will ever make itself available, but I think you might enjoy the suspense of trying to guess when I'm going to flip the boat?!:~)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. You really should stay away from the water, or alternatively, only get in really big boats.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherm..............it's not my fault!

    ReplyDelete