Monday, August 23, 2010

Under a different name

This morning while I was on an errand for the church, I was listening on my MP3 a message about how Jesus changed Peter's name. I think I have this right, Peter's original Aramaic name, for about 33years, was Cephas which meant rock. Now Jesus changes it ... I mean that's rather dramatic - for 61yrs I've been named Timothy,[which is of Greek origin] to suddenly have my name changed would hard to handle ... Jesus gives Cephas a greek name Peter, but it also means a rock; so although the name changes the meaning stays the same. Peter can now boast that he has two names, one in Aramaic and one in Greek and they both mean the same. Since my name Timothy did not enter into English use until after the Protestant Reformation, I'd probably have to settle for the Hebrew version of my name Timeo, I've been called a lot worse, and not exactly in the context of the original meaning. Anyway in doing a little research in this 'name changing' venue I happened across an article 'Combat brigades in Iraq under a different name. Sure enough our Government would have us to believe that all combat troops have left Iraq..not true, there are still seven brigades left, they've just been renamed 'Advise and Assist Brigades! According to the Army Times, where I read this article, there are still just under 50,000 left; so call them by whatever name you wish they are still there for the same purpose, performing the same task. BAck to the Bible, when Jesus renamed Peter he was not speaking of Peter's present faith as being strong, but that after Jesus resurrection Peter's faith would become solid. Jesus changed Peter's name to bring new life, new emphasis to Peter's role in the faith, the government changed the name to deceive us.
I wonder if the 'Advise and Assist Brigades' will continue to serve long after the agreement with the Iraq government about all combat troops being pulled out by Dec.2011? - if the past is any indicator, they will still be there! And in the mean time we certainly have time to rename them again ... and stay a little longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment