Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Don't have much.....

...to write about today. Yesterday I took mom to get an EEG test and she was pretty cooperative. MOst of the time I really appreciate the cooperation she gives, but in some ways its makes it a little harder; Mom has gotten along pretty good by herself since pa passed away in Nov.1987. But with both dad and my sister gone, mom is really dreading the day her mom [Grama - 97yrs old] dies. Though she has a younger sister and brother in law only about 25 minutes away, and a young brother and sister in law just down the road a piece, she still thinks she'll be alone. In the ten years we've lived only two hours away, she's come to our house less than half a dozen times; though we certainly have tried to get her to come visit or go on short trips with us. Mom has never been one to visit and stay at people's homes overnight. I think her family is cursed with the mantra 'well, we don't want to be a bother.' I just can't figure it out ... when my dad was alive he would come visit us and stay for a week or two, although after his heart surgeries he stopped going anywhere for too long and never overnight. He always wanted to be within calling distance of his cardiologist.
Oh, well, being a good son means I'll keep traveling south every week its possible. I really would like my grandkids to get to know mom better, and her get to know them. It could be too that since mom is talking about getting these tests done, and she knows her short-term memory is getting worse she doesn't want to chance going to far by herself. If necessary I would go get her and take to some family events if she wanted to - but she wont'. I think a big fear is that if something were to happen to Grandma and she wasn't there, she'd be to blame being the oldest sibling.

No comments:

Post a Comment