Monday, August 16, 2010

Some more random thoughts.

Journal, I found out this afternoon that my mom, growing more and more conscience of her deteriorating short memory loss, has agreed to begin having some testing take place. This is a very positive thing, considering about 6 mos. ago she was quite irrate when the whole idea was presented, so I thank God she is cooperating with it, and I thank Him for her sister, brother-in-law and 97yr old mom who are supporting her. I'll make the trip home tonight and then go to the hospital with her and see her home. On the hand, I've never had to begin helping to assist a parent in their living and so I hope that I am up to the challenge, though its one I never wanted or dreamed of. It makes me think of the time that my kids may be called upon to wait on me, I pray that time never comes, I much prefer for them to have memories of me than have to care for me. I've had a good 61 yr. run ... lived in Hawaii, visited five different countries on 8 work & witness trips [returned to two countries twice.]; and had fantastic visits to many places with the 'good wife.' All my grandkids know me well, and probably have some memories they will laugh about for generations to come. I would dread thinking that all that joy and blessing would be tainted with mental disability. I have been the most fortunate of men, an incomparable lovely wife, excellent kids/in-laws and the worlds greatest grandkids.
Well we'll see what tomorrow holds; at least I know who holds tomorrow.
If anyone has any suggestions on supporting parents, I am certainly open to it because I know that in helping my mom I'm also raising my own awareness levels. THANKS.

Sometimes the truth comes out in unexpected ways, even to its authors. I'm talking about President Obama's comment: 'the Muslim call to prayer is one of the prettiest sounds on Earth at sunset.' Regardless of the context in which he was speaking, prayer is certainly the prettiest sound at any time of the day or night. Prayer speaks about belief in; prayer speaks about reliance on; prayer speaks about hope because of; prayer speaks about communication with .............. of course the context in which I speak is prayer with Christ!!

3 comments:

  1. Yours is a tight packed family as mine was until I was born. I was able to visit and remember almost half of my great grandparents. But because I got started so late, my daughter won't be able to see as many of hers. She still has two left.

    Sage is going through something similar with his mother. Perhaps he might be able to offer some words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thank God every day that my 80 year old mother is capable of living independently and enjoys her independence. The "Long Goodbyes" of some these conditions is truly trying for the family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ed...I can remember most of my relatives growing up within an hour of us; and most of them on my mothers side, just down the street. In many cases its sad that this is no longer normal. My daughter-in-law is very conscious of making sure her kids see their relatives as much as possible.

    Sherm ... I am thanking God that mother is cooperating so well with the testing, etc.

    ReplyDelete