Thursday, April 22, 2010

Will you look at that DNA

As a youngster one of my favorite games was 'Cowboys and Indians,' and I ALWAYS played an Indian .... the reason; since I could remember my mother, and grandma had told me that we had Indian blood in us. And since I've found out that there was a regular Pottawatomi campsite on the other side of the river that runs along the edge of our town. My grandma's pop used to tell stories about them, to grandma, as he'd sell/barter merchandise with them. So I could frequently be found in front the mirror looking for high cheek bones, or heavy eyelids, or running my tongue across my teeth, feeling for slooping gums or examining my toes, imagine my horror when I couldn't locate any of those characteristics. In my present genealogical search I have come across a long removed uncle who supposedly married an Indian maiden princess....I guess there's still hope. What I never counted on was being linked to Neanderthal man. A genetic anthropologist at the U of N.Mexico, Dr. Jeffry Long,[www.dailymail.co.uk .. 'We may all be a little bit Neanderthal...'] has discovered that Neanderthal and my multi-thousand years ancestors had sex! Twice, once 60,000 yrs ago and then 40,000yrs ago; I guess they weren't as simple with those over-sized heads and 20% larger brains as we thought they were ... at least they had the sense to interbreed before extinction ... or wait, if I've got some of their DNA I guess they're not that extinct. Yah, but I've never heard any really good 'cowboy/neanderthal stories?! My only out right now from this prehistoric intercourse is that the first co-habitation happened in eastern Mediterranean, and the second was in eastern Asia ... something about the east I guess. So far my ancestors don't come from those areas, so at the present I'm safe. A little secret among my 'people' that we don't air out in the main-stream media is that it used to be quite acceptable practice for cousins to marry; matter of fact my grandpa/grandma [on my father's side] were a couple times removed cousins. My good wife enjoys reminding me of that, and my comeback is that perhaps her family might have benefited from the same practice. getting back to the neanderthals ... since many scientists believe that we evolved from one celled atoms, that means there were some lower level creatures in the pond, so I wonder if neanderthals got their inspiration from DNA left to them. For example: In 2007 a new slug species was discovered that actually shoots love darts! Go figure... [again you can find article at dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech]
With this new information I'm now a bit antsy about where my genealogical quest might take me; I mean with neanderthals and slugs now lurking in the framework of my gene quest, the rascals I'm running across look pretty dog-gone tame! Of course there weren't any scientist around to warn neanderthal about climbing Mount Kinabalu and unknowingly getting darted by one of those sleepy slugs worried about extinction.

5 comments:

  1. Don't dig too deep in your past, you'll find all kind of trash. I'm not sure what to say about sex twice in 20,000 years except poor guy... And I have a great grandfather/great grandmother who are kissing cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sage is right. For every distant connection to royalty or some famous person, there's always a black sheep.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sage and Sherm ........ I've already met some characters on both sides of the family that I'm wondering if they are a little too much neanderthal dna?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I could raise a black sheep farm with as many as I've found in my family tree.

    Have you been watching NBC's "Who do you think you are" series? Although they typically only focus on one segment of the person's ancestry, I find the show fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ed... Haven't heard of it, but thanks, I 'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete