Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A People's History of Christianity

Last night I got to here Diana Butler Bass for the first time at the United Methodist Church were my son is on staff. Bass is an author of seven books, earned her PHD in church history from Duke University. Last night's event was the kickoff to a multiple day pastor's conference; and though I wasn't able to go to the other sessions, last nights talk was both enlightening and challenging. Bass is at present an Episcopalian layperson, and is especially interested in social justice, and telling the story of the 'church' in a way that entices people to listen. I entered the meeting equipped with pencil and pad, but became so interested I barely made any notes. Some of the things I do remember is her comments on how the church has allowed the world to hijack our story. How we have ignored the tough parts of the story, the crusades, inquisitions, etc. and thought that they would just go away rather than confront them head on and at the same time tell our story with passion. ONe note I made was that the observation was given that when the church loses its sense of history there comes a disconnect in which the world ceases to desire to listen. And far too often we try to fit theology into history rather than simply explain how theology failed in history. She made the observation that maybe the world, and atheists are wanting the church to tell the story; their condemnation of the church is in fact those invitations. I haven't read any of her books, but I now own three of them, so I am anxious to read her writings. During her speech she mentioned the anabaptist's [mennonites/amish] and that caught my attention give my current quest into my own mennonite family roots. It was a two-hour trip one way for just an hour/and a half hearing, but well worth it. The icing on the trip of course was getting to spend time with the grandkids; we went about an hour early so grandma got to spend almost three hours with grandkids and our daughter, our son going to the conference with me. He even introduced me to almost everyone there, who was on staff and attending; I was proud to be his dad, and know that he wasn't too embarrassed to introduce to people important in his life and ministry. After the conference I got to spend a few minutes speaking with Diana, and we briefly shared our religious ancestory, and that was fun, at least for me. She related that she's just found out her mother had a connection with Amy McPherson Simpson[?], who started the Foursquare movement. I truly enjoyed the evening and feel blessed that I was privileged to have it. Then at our small town ministerial fellowship this morning I shared and our Episcopalian priest, who had heard her some years back, smiled,..... there we were a Presbyterian hosting us, an Assembly brother, an Episcopalian sister and a Nazarene brother .... what a group. We truly enjoy each others company.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a weird group you meet with... I'll have to tell an Aimee Semple McPherson story sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is little doubt this small groups has some different characters ..... but as one tv channel says, 'all characters are welcome!' ...and thanks for the name correction, I just couldn't get it off hand.

    ReplyDelete