Friday, April 9, 2010

Shinny Dipping!

Well, they didn't get what they were looking for, and all I ended up with was a busted rear passenger window! It was a quick hit, they broke the window, unlocked the door, and took the brief case and ran; fortunately I had left my laptop at home, and if I had had it with me I wouldn't have left it overnight in the car. There were some things of much more value than a laptop they left in the car, [plus it had all my family ancestory research, on both my dad and mom's side in it - some clear back to the 1500's plus my favorite worn Bible (maybe one of them will read it?!)], I now have a new appreciation for those who lose personal items and memories that are stolen. However, I can conclude two things, first, God certainly had angels watching over us, and those were not real bright thieves. After inquiring into what it was going to take to get the window reparied and our time travel schedule only delayed a couple of hours, my wife found out that our 'traveler's insurance' would pay for the window replacement after our $50 deductable; even the boss at her work was surprised by that - and they both work for the Insurance Company! Well after we got the car to the dealer, we all packed into my daughter's van [We're in the big Orange City in Upper New York] and drove to a lake community about an hour away. We took pictures and had a good time hiking when we finally decided to sit by the lake and take a break. Some [well all] the grand kids started playing among the rocks and seeing how close they could get to 'not' getting wet, and I decided to take up the challenge also. The only problem is I'm considerably older and got my foot stuck between a couple little rocks and went down, in slow motion. Now I have a couple nice rainbow colored spots on my arm and leg to remind me that sometimes it easier to cheer people on rather than participate. To top the day my good wife decided she would not be outdone, and so stopping to let the ladies off at the curb at Wal-Mart, she took the plunge, never quite getting her feet situated she tumbled. But after spending last night in a resort we always stay at on this trip up north, and spending time in the jacuzie and sauna room she's feeling a lot better, although I'm sure she's hurting, just not complaining because she feel mostly on the side she has a bad hip and she also hit some disc's that are hurting her in her back. The grandkids are doing well and it was a joy to be with them; although I didn't care much for their cat, I tolerated it. The second night we stayed with them I fixed penne and hamburger/ragu; and of course in the morning I had to walk with 'Joe' to the bakery across the street from where they live for fresh donuts.
Well today we conclude our trip home and pray God's continuing traveling mercies.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about the vandalism. I had that happen once years ago while in St. Louis taking my then three year old to see the stage version of The Lion King. We wound up having to drive 45 minutes home in December with no driver side window.

    Good times.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always guessed that because I tend to drive really old and very cheap cars, that people tend to ignore them in favor of other newer more expensive models. Perhaps I've just been lucky. My parents on the other hand have had their cars broken into twice, both when they were relatively new vehicles. You know what they say, locks only keep out the honest people.

    ReplyDelete