Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Goldman who?

I am probably one of the 'least,' w/o exception qualified people to remark on this whole event; but I've been trying to education myself a little bit ... and the more informed I become the less confidence I'm tempted to have in anyone in politics. The scope of this issue is inclusive of both parties, and is no respecter of anyone. The only bottom line I've been able to observe [shows the lack of my understanding] is that 'if its not illegal' its okay. In many ways this is indicative to me of the ethical and moral decline of our culture; just because something is not illegal does not make it okay for me to practice against my neighbor, the same as if something is legal does not give me license to practice it. Somewhere along the decline the golden rule was been more than disregarded, its seems to have gone into hiding. Now let me talk about how I see this applying spiritually since I'm a little more familiar in this arena. To often I have watched the same bottom line drawn in religious circles. If scripture doesn't specifically say its not okay, then I can do it, or its left to my discretion. Little notice is taken of Paul's admonition that even if its okay for me, if it offends my neighbor than I am guilty of wrong doing. Maybe its time I stop being so entitled and learn to sacrifice, and/or be more concerned with how my actions are going to affect my neighbor than how right or wrong its going to make me look or get me ahead. Maybe its time the church becomes the church, Sunday I shared with my congregation a piece from Diana Butler Bass's book 'The People's History of Christianity,' so I would like to conclude with it here: [with some paraphrasing of my own, so I'll give the pg.# so you can find the exact quote] though having meet and spoke with Mrs.Bass I don't think she'd object too much to my understanding, since it takes nothing out of context.
'The persecution of early Christians was not so much because of the doctrine they believed or necessarily the message they preached, it was because of their RADICAL lifestyle of devotional practices....' [sorry the books at home so I can't quote the pg.# right now]
Cheers

4 comments:

  1. 'if its not illegal' its okay

    I think that is the best summation of the whole ordeal I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed.... And that is one of the best compliments I've ever received! thanks. I will cherish this one and even show it to the good wife, who I am sure will be amazed by it. again thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: Ms. Bass' quote. I'd like to see her explain that, as the history of Rome (secular history, that is) seems pretty clear that the periodic persecutions had to do with refusal to acknowledge the purported divinity of the emperor. I agree that doctrine was secondary, but I'm not sure the Romans cared about practice either, until they conflicted with allegiance to emperors/empire.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherm .... The next paragraph reads [v.27] 'Christianity had effectively created a social group that promoted its own laws and its own patterns of behavior. These behaviors, at odds with Roman custom, earned Christians the reputation of being revolutionaries and traitors to the good order of the State.' end of quote.

    ReplyDelete