Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Who Framed Jesus? - God, maybe!

This past Sunday night, while at a convention, before I went to sleep I decided to watch a little of the Discovery channel program, 'Who Framed Jesus?' Now I will admit I got so frustrated in the 20-30minutes I watched it, that some of my complaints may have been addressed and I didn't know it. All these Ivy League theologians spoke about the possibilities of Judas, and Pilate, Caiaphas, etc. framing Jesus so he was crucified. They were so adamant about their positions I began to wonder if they had really read the gospels. What part about Jesus declaring to Pilate, [Jn.18:11] 'You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above....'did they just not understand? I became so frustrated I found myself yelling at the tv - Jesus didn't need to be framed, it was part of the plan! Then I began to realize it wasn't about who framed Jesus, it was about the fact that Jesus wasn't perceived as divine. Then I began to realize that I was getting all stressed up needlessly, yet I agonize for those who may have watched the program and believed what they were hearing. The bottom line is that Jesus was in total control at every step of the way. Of course to find a scape goat would be helpful, then everyone could point their finger at him and feel free of guilt. Lent is doing a job on me this year.

.

4 comments:

  1. Such mental Onanism only is possible if one presupposes that Jesus was nothing more than a political philosopher, but not who He said He was: God Incarnate.

    This time of year, we are subjected to endless pontificating regarding such questions. My favorite is "Who killed Jesus?" I know the answer; it's here.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherm
    Like you, it never ceases to amaze me how at Lent we start hearing all these stories about Jesus. I equal them basically to two desires; one to deny the deity of Christ, the other is because of an unconscious searching for him. And often these stories challenge me in my thinking which is good, because that can lead to affirmation or enlightenment in some area.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. As mother says, quoting someone, "The only two images people have of Jesus Christ is either as a baby in a stable or dying on the cross, and He's not a threat to them in either place."

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherm
    Your mother is a wise quoter!

    ReplyDelete