Monday, March 15, 2010

Cub Scouts Pinewood Derby

This past Saturday, the Cub Scouts who use our church facilities, invited me to be one of the judges of their pinewood cars. I really enjoyed myself. We had to vote for categories such as: most unusual car, fastest looking car, best block of wood, best use of color, best use of props on car, best driver in the car, best use of imagination and overall best of show. All the cars were set on tracks labeled with their 'pack name.' It was easy to see that the two youngest packs, the tigers and bears, had the youngest boys. Their cars were colored somewhat outside the lines, and not as racy looking; and I was tempted to just chose cars from these two classes because I knew the boys had done most of the work. In the older packs, the wolfes and webelos [for the life of me I don't know what a webelos is, if there is such an animal] you could see the more detailed cars, the smoother edges and better racing designs - the dads were progressing in their racing models, yet the boys get to race them. Before the voting, I talked with a good number of the dads and almost everyone of them admitted to doing more work on the cars than their sons, but most of also said that their sons worked with them, they of course couldn't let their sons run the ban saws, etc.. After speaking with these fathers, my prejudices began to be tempered, and I thought even though I hated to see some of that childhood originality disappear it was replaced with father - son working together, and that's a good thing. I suppose I still tended to vote a little prejudicially, but thank goodness there were two other, more experienced judges, that put me in my place! It was a great experience for me, and they even gave a ribbon and medal for judging.

5 comments:

  1. Webelo was initially an acronym for Wolf, Bear, Lion, Scout, the original levels based off of Kipling's Jungle Book.

    When I was a scout, the only thing my father would do was use the power tools. I still had to shape, paint, accessorize, etc. It always bugged me back then how other scouts always won awards when it was obvious that they did very little of the work. Later when I was a "big brother" to a scout working on his car, I ran the power tools and let him do all the rest despite his pleas to the contrary. Making my own car while others didn't taught me lessons that carried on throughout my life to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Webelos not Webelo. An acronym isn't much good when missing a letter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for being a judge, did you need a flax jacket or hard hat? Sometimes judging can be hard to do, especially when dad's have their egos on the line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I salute you. Like Ed, my dad only did the power tool stuff. Everything else was mine.

    Your post touches on something I've been meaning to explore, i.e. parents who try too hard to guarantee their kids' success. It takes many forms, from the pinewood cars to school projects. I wonder if that tendency which seems to have appeared post Baby Boom, has led, in part, to our current state of affairs where everyone desires that they be taken care of in perpetuity by someone else.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was fun!

    Ed... thanks for the info and help; I'm sure you're keeping from one of those splendid goof-ups I'm becoming known for.

    Sage ... They sent on father [w/his son tagging along behind] back to the pit area 4 times because the car was too heavy, he starting to get a bit peeved, but he finally qualified before he got toooooo unhappy; felt sorry for the son.

    Sherm .. I think you're on to something there. I've noticed, both as a little league coach, and now a scout judge that parents have mistaken their responsibilities as mentors and instead of made the events and projects about them. I'm really glad that you and Ed used the right teaching methods, keep it going!!

    ReplyDelete