Monday, March 22, 2010

Flying sweet potato cornbread

Last night a good friend of mine dropped off a freshly killed, and cleaned pheasant. It was still on the bone, best way to cook one. So this evening I cut it up and barbequed it in the oven. Then I fixed a sweet-potato cornbread recipe I found in a very old cookbook someone gave a couple weeks ago ............ it beat by miles any cornbread I have ever had, so below is the recipe
1 large sweet potato [I just got a big can of cut sweet potatoes]
1/4 pound [1 stick] of butter
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon each salt and cinnamon
1 cup yogurt [I used a cup of sour cream]
2 cups finely ground white cornmeal
optional: 1/2 cup raisins and/or pecans
Cut up and puree the sweet potato. Mix together butter and
pureed pulp. Beat eggs w/sugar, soda, cinnamon and salt, and
add to puree. Beat in yogurt, cornmeal and raisins/nuts.
Pour into a battered 9x9 baking pan and bake at 350 until
browned [45-60]...... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Also I got a couple of frozen corn on cob at grocery store. Let it thaw;
then, plaster with peanut butter, wrap in tin foil and place in the oven
for 25 minutes ........... bring everything out at the same time.
This is a treat.

5 comments:

  1. Plastering corn on the cob with peanut butter? Now that is definitely a new one to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much of a sweat potato fan, alas. I like my cornbread pretty much straight up, with a bowl of chili.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother in law's pinto beans and cornbread...man oh man. I need to fly here up here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gee, I thought I taught you how to fix cornbread! But I admit, this sounds interesting, I may have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ed.... You will enjoy the peanut butter flavor the corn takes on! ...another alternative we like is to wrap bacon around it, putting toothpicks into the cob to keep it on ... we don't eat the bacon we just want the flavor seeping into the corn.

    Sherm... This cornbread isn't for chili, its for regular meals to be used as a staple additive.

    Jim ... hey jimbo, give a try. Send me that pinto cornbread recipe.

    Sage ... this is a different type of cornbread.

    ReplyDelete