Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Searching for Family Roots.

This journey that I am one to find family roots is becoming an obsession as I was warned it might; but it is also beginning to give me a much better and deeper sense of who I am. I would like to record a couple of stories that are adding meaning to this journey. First, I am far far more fortunate than a good number of people that are on a similar journey. For it seems like I am gathering information quicker than I ever dreamed possible. Last week my grandma [my mother's mom] found a 300+ page book that she had forgotten she had that went into her mother's ancestory in great depth; and in visiting her she's let me have the book so I can copy it! Then I happen to email someone I found on the internet who had a same relative; she lives in Seattle WA. and is a distant cousin. Now she and her husband are going to be taking a trip this year out to MASS. where our ancestors came from, and I am excited about that because she's said she will keep me informed. We had a common ancestor that is given credit as a co-founder of Concord, MA., and a later grandson that founded Tweksbury, MA. Then on my father's side of the family I emailed a gentleman that whose 2nd cousin in Illinois is my 6th cousin, and I had been in contact with him when we lived in Champaign, Il. HOw's that for a coincidence? In further conversation I found out that this cousin had a mother who was from the very town I now live in, and two Yoder's cousins who used to run a gas station in this town until about 15years ago. He even had a client in this town at one time. His ancestors, from the Yoder family, came from Lancaster, PA. where some of mine came from; and I used to live an hour from Lancaster[and we loved to visit Lancaster for family outings], our family just had a family reunion in Lancaster a couple years ago, and I didn't know about my ancestors from there at the time. There are so many neat things happening on this journey ............ I'm keeping every single email and hope that one day my experiences will be an addition to the family record. My mother reminded me that maybe no one will be interested, yet there may be a grandchild or great grandchild who takes an interest?...

3 comments:

  1. I find it amazing how I went from having one cousin before genealogy to probably close to a hundred now. It really is a small world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Researching family history is like exploring slot canyons in the west. They never end, as there's always one more bend you want to peek around.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ed...
    You're so right; I just wrote to a very distant cousin today.
    Sherm...
    I like that analogy, thanks.

    ReplyDelete