Friday, March 19, 2010

The continuing saga begins to reveal.....

Yesterday was a banner day in family history! First, my grandma [Mom's side, who is 96] went searching for family info since she too is excited about my efforts and found,
BELIEVE THIS, a book from her mom, giving family lineage details in over 300 pgs.Now I alredy have almost 8 generations from that line recorded but it will be good to confirm those names and maybe find some others on the McLain side. I do know they go back to Ireland and England; and they are fighters. Relatives on that family branch fought in the Ten Years Indian War, The French-Indian War, The Revolutionary War, and many fought in the Civil War. [This is all on my mothers side]

My father's side was Amish-Mennonite [both grandpa and grandma] and originated with the Anabaptists in Switzerland. They eventually came to settle in France and migrate to the U.S.. Now Amish-Mennonite's are pacifists, and as far as I know [back at the very least, 6 generations] my father is the only member to have served in the Military. Although there are appearing hints that some stray ancient members may have served in French Army under Napoleon, even though the roots are German. Go figure. Anyway back to my story of the AM-MEN being pacifists. They migrated to the United States around the early 1830's and so far NO evidence has appeared that any of them fought in the civil war - they were conscientous objectors. So what is beginning to appear on the horizons is a great story of pro-war verses anti-war forces in my roots .... for someone who can write a good story, I think this might be one. So last night I was vigorously looking for some family history that I knew existed somewhere, even a copy of an original shipping manifest with my ancestors names, and with God's help I'm sure, I happened to think of the good wife and my family Bible ............ and there it was!

6 comments:

  1. They could have been Alsatians, who speak a German dialect, but who live on the west bank of the Rhine. Alsace was one of the first areas conquered by Bonaparte, and many of the the populace (including my great, great, great grandfather) served in the French Army by compulsion. That's how my ancestors wound up over here in the early 1820s.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherm
    I recall reading some about the Alsatians, I'll check into it more. I'm getting some many rabbit trails going, I'll probably be getting lost here. A lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng away Cousin has been emailing me, and come to find out his mother came from this small SW MI town I'm living in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always a good feeling when you discover things like this. For me, it was writing to a historical society in Germany asking where to write for information on a particular subject and instead having someone send back six generations of my ancestors from the church record book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ed...
    Do you happen to still have that address? I'd be much appreciative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My contact was from a local historic society specific to Bremen, Germany and wasn't part of a national historic society or at least is she was, I didn't know. I do have her address and if you would like it, send me an email so that I don't have to paste it up here on the internet. It is five years old and may no longer be valid anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ed...
    Thanks so much, I'll see how it goes on this end. I just came across a treasure trove of family information that goes clear back to my roots in Switzerland in the 1500's. Its going to take me a while to sort through all of that.

    ReplyDelete