Monday, March 29, 2010

My most FAVORITE week of the year!

This week, without question or doubt, is my most favorite week. Theologians have named it Holy Week as we celebrate our Risen Lord! NOTHING can even begin to compare with it. On Good Friday, ever wondered why we call the day of Christ's death - Good Friday?
Its the day he took my sin and yours upon himself, and by that act we can be free forever! This Friday night we will be showing Mel Gibson's movie 'The Passion of the Christ,' asking people to enter the auditorium reverently and leaving silently also. Every time I see this movie I learn something new. Then on Easter morning we will be having our Annual Sunrise Worship; I wonder how those women felt that cool morning traveling to the tomb to finish anointing Jesus body? Would the stone still block the entrance? Would the temple guards move it for them to enter and anoint his body? was this a futile exercise of love? Would the smell of death be too much for them to complete their task? .... what faith! Still I wonder, inspite of the fact they watched him die on the cross, could it be? was there a faint ray of hope? I'm afraid that there are times when my faith is not as strong as theirs, so its good that again I visit this everlasting story, may my faith be restored, refreshed and renewed.

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't help but think about this week as I read the litany of the passion to my congregation on Sunday morning.

    On Sunday, Jesus entered Jerusalem to cheers.

    By Friday, they were calling for his death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a week of ups and downs and then back up! Have a blessed week, Sleepyhead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite comments about the women of Easter morning, was by noted historian and Anglican theologian N.T. Wright. After noting the social position of women generally in Antiquity, he suggested that God's/Christ's appearance first to woman, constituted further evidence of the nature of His message, i.e. the Good News, and provided historical proof for the event itself. That is, the disciples had to rely on their testimony as evidence for their faith that Christ was/is Logos. This fact alone, i.e. that our faith is based on the witness of those who society deemed to be not credible, puts at once the lie to any assertion that Christianity in its original Early Church state was misogynistic.

    Cheers, and Happy Holy Week.

    ReplyDelete