Monday, March 1, 2010

I Won the Bronze, Mom!

What a story. Joannie Rochette, the Canadian figure skater who lost her mom from a massive heart attack only hours after her parents had come to Vancouver to watch her compete; it was a story of a young lady reaching down within herself to reservoirs she had never taken from. Sure, practicing to be an Olympic athlete can mean hours and hours of tough training, often taken to what is perceived to be the limits of human endurance, and more often not, working through pain. But the goal one hopes to achieve keeps on going, at least until you've reached the stage upon which that goal can be achieved. But what reservoir is it that you tap when death becomes an that unwelcome partner? What exactly should Joannie do, quit and join her father in grieving, or should she go on, seeking to honor her mother with her very best efforts? I believe she made the right choice, if I had been her parent that been the victim of that heart attack and death, my wish would have been for her to 'finish' ... and she did. How proud her mother would have been, and one only had to catch a glimpse of the celebration of embrace with her father to know she'd done the right thing; and as she reminded us this moment was what her parents, particularly her mother, had stood by and encouraged her for all those prior years.

We have a lot of people on our church family prayer list, some incarcerated, others doing battle with cancer, and still others not even able to identify their opponents,
yet, in faith, they dig into reservoirs never tapped before, they hold on to God's promises, and hope for a future in which, at the moment, the only assurance they have is his peace and presence .... and that is enough. But how well, will we, their choir of encouragement perform. I pray there is more than just simple cheers from the stands, that there be cards/calls with thoughtful, uplifting words, that there will be acts of compassion and caring .......... a spontaneous overflowing of love that says to those contestants, 'you're making the right choice; and we're doing everything we can to support you, in Jesus name.

5 comments:

  1. 'Twas an inspiring story and performance, though when it comes to skates, I'm more of a hockey guy. (Although, I am persuaded to watch because of the skimpy outfights, I blush to admit. Um, on the girls, that is.)

    We each have our own trials and tribulations, of course. These days, whenever I start waxing too sorrowful about my circumstances, I wind up thinking about the words from the contemporary Christian song, "I'll never know how much it cost, to see my sins upon that cross."

    I straighten up pretty quick.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherm
    Sad to say, I'm rather proficient at pity-parties, although I must admit I've never had one I've gained anything from. Now when I start thinking its time for one, I get this image of nails and crowns, and usually shape up pretty quick also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her story was moving and what more could she do. I'm glad she won a metal and is an inspiration to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I were to croak right before my daughter was about to do something of importance, I would want her to go on just like Joannie Rochette. After all, I'm gone and all that remains is just my body. Rememberances of me can wait a few days especially knowing the fact that memories get sweeter with age.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sage
    The skeptics would say her mothers death played a big part in getting her the medal; alas, not so, the kind of courage and bravery she showed is a part of that force that propelled her on.

    Ed.. I like that 'memories get sweeter with age.'

    ReplyDelete