Monday, August 10, 2009

Willowcreek's 'Global Leadership Summit 2009'

"Lead Where YOu Are" was a tremendous source of help and encourgement. Speakers from U2's Bono to England's Tony Blair shared valuable insights on not only how to lead but marrying our faith to our leadership. It was because of the generosity of another church in this community that I was able to attend, and I will never be able to adequately thank them. These two days of summit generated many heart-searching questions for both leaders and their churches. Personal challenges from time to time caused us to search deep within our souls for the reasons we lead and serve Christ. Numerous quotes will always serve to remind us who we are, and what we can become if God is leading us. It would be difficult to choose one statement as my favorite, but there was one by Bono which ranks right up there, 'We are most Christlike standing FOR something rather than AGAINST!.'

2 comments:

  1. To say I was surprised to see Bono's name associated with a Christian conference would be an understatement. As for your selected quote, I think it's spot-on. Alas, the world insists upon transforming the positives of Christianity, i.e. "I support traditional marriage values," to their inverse, i.e. "You hate gay people." Stated differently, (and to use a currently in vogue phrase,) we've lost control of the message, which is what the enemy wants.

    BTW, doesn't being "for" a proposition necessitate opposition to it's negative?

    :)

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherm
    I think I understand the complexity of your question; yet if we look at Christ, he didn't need to be negative about something because the positive was so overwhelming in love, the difference so great, that the negative didn't even need to be expressed. I'm getting a little weary of the church focusing valuable time, resources and message on what's wrong with this world, how about if instead to we focus on the positiveness of the gospel. My God's a big boy he can handle himself w/o me; and he also can convict a whole lot more convincingly. Just a thought or two, but I also think Bono's on target. You would have enjoyed the video, Hybels nailed him on church affiliation, it was great and Bono even admitted Bill had him!
    His love,
    -eutychus

    ReplyDelete