Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Goodbye Teddy


Well its time to go to bed; I've finished watching two documentaries on Teddy Kennedy. What struck me so much about both of them was the balanced reporting that was done. One reporter called his life Shakespearean in triumph and tragedy, while another one called him the lion for the poor, disadvantaged and disenfranchised. There will be many who insist that being born of privilege makes it so much easier to be gracious and giving, though I don't think that's correct. I was never a Kennedy fan, probably because I grew up in a Republican bastion; but as I watched and listened I was reminded that we, those of us who call ourselves Christians, should be in the front lines of those who are speaking out for the poor and disadvantaged, we should challenging those who insist on widening the gap between the haves and have nots. We should be demanding justice for every man; not because we want to be politically empowered but because we believe that all men/women are created equal in the eyes of their Creator ... and that He loves each of us the same, and if we love him as we proclaim then we will love those he loves!
If there's anything that Teddy's life has taught me its that work for the betterment of all humankind is never done even when our life here is and while we have breath we should constantly be serving and working for others.. I suppose like a lot of you I'll continue to watch the ongoing events and hear more eulogies about his life, only now I will be listening for the lessons that I need to hear to make my life more beneficial for others.

4 comments:

  1. I certainly don't disagree with the proposition that we Christians have an obligation to protect those less fortunate than us. However, I believe the duty is dischargeable only by me as an individual. Where I break ranks with those of Mr. Kennedy's persuasion is that they seem to feel that their duty to the poor and downtrodden may be discharged by voting that other people cough up the alms. After all all, the "greater love" of which Christ spoke is that of a person who gives up his own life for a brother, not the person who orders him into battle.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherm
    I came across a very interesting article by a priest about T.K,; and though I am a protestant many of the things he talked about apply to all Christians regardless of their theology. Thought you might find it interesting also.
    "Kennedy the Catholic" by Rev. Robert Sirico
    http://corner.nationalreview.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherm
    the correct address is
    http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/

    ReplyDelete
  4. He was an interesting man--and unlike a lot of great men, his faults were more visible than most, but he continued fighting for what he felt was right. May the family be comforted in their grief.

    ReplyDelete