Thursday, August 20, 2009

Waxing Philosphical


For some unknown reason I feel philosophical this morning, and so I'm going share some thoughts. Wednesday America's largest Lutheran denomination voted , by the narrowest of margins [meaning they got exactly the number needed [2/3] to pass the measure] to approve a theological statement on human sexuality that loosens church teaching on homosexuality. I guess the 2/3 that voted for the resolution didn't notice what happened to the Episcopal congregation when like measures were passed. So a double-danger exists; first, making God's commands accommodate our cultural mores is really thin ice, some might even say such action leads to where there is no ice .... and second, its always dangerous when trying to accommodate all views, especially in the church. The gospel is not about accommodation but transformation.
Only a couple hours before the vote, everyone at the convention was moved to a safer location because a tornado struck the Central Lutheran Church across the street, ripping down part of a
90yr. old steel cross. What does nature have to do with it?

In another article by the Washington Post the observation is made that there seems to be a lack of resolve both in the President's administration and Congress. I was reminded that as a Christian I need to....
...resolve to believe and obey Jesus Christ
...resolve to follow Him regardless of other voices calling me elsewhere
...resolve to be a faithful witness when he presents me with opportunities.
Ah, resolve, its such a decisive action in a world that prefers accommodation and being relevant.
tomorrow: Men's retreat!!! I resolve to catch two dozen large crappies.

1 comment:

  1. I expect to see an increase in membership in Missouri and Wisconsin Synod Lutheran Churches which continue to hold the line on Biblical doctrine. You're right abouth the Anglican community. Those changes meant to be more accomodating have backfired as congregations and congregants leave TEC en masse in favor of more traditional denominations. The fact of the matter is, if I want a social group, I'll get an early tee time on Sunday with three of my friends. I don't need to listen to a motivational speech filled with bland, "inoffensive" platitudes. Frankly, golf is more fun.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete