Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Shrinking World - a political comment


I don't usually comment on political situations because for one thing I don't want to have political party labels hung on me. Its my firm believe that Christians have no business placing politics above spiritual matters regardless of how they feel, so I want to avoid that trap. However, having said all that a recent news event has got me thinking - President Obama's olive branch to the Muslim world. First let me say I think this is looooooooooooong overdue, as our world shrinks we must determine to live in peace with all men. I don't believe that all Muslims are followers, or even sympathizers, of Osama Bin Ladin; it is my believe that most Muslims wish to live in peace, therefore I see President Obama's olive branch as a good thing, yet also a two-edged sword. For on the one hand, this olive branch can bring a greater Muslim influence into our culture, it's religious thought disturbingly penetrating our already decreasing Christian influence here at home. On the other hand more peaceful relationships with the Muslim world may pave the way for the gospel being more easily, and readily, shared. As a Christian I need to remember "for God so loved the world, that he gave us Jesus." Not just the part of the world I am comforable with, not just the part of the world that sides with us.
So I pray for our President, that perhaps this olive branch will accomplish even more than what might be his personal political goals in offeing it. God is still in control!
I would love to hear your comments regarding this subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment