Monday, February 1, 2010

'Good night - Sleep tight'

Picked up the good wife this past Sunday night from her visit to Naples Florida. She had a great time with her little sister there and on the way home from Indy we celebrated with supper at STone Creek Dining Company. If you feel inclined to see their menu you can find it at www.stonecreekdining.com. It was delicious, I had a broiled Seafood Combo - two jmbo shrimp, three scallops, one fantastic crab cake and a Mahi-Mahi filet - plus a baked potato and the chef's choice of vegetables. ONe of the best meals I've ever had .. literally. The seasoning on everything left nothing to be desired; and I have eaten at some pretty fancy places both in/out of the good ole U.S.. The house salad was excellent with Cranberry-Poppy Seed dressing. The good wife had her usual filet mignon. NOW, as Saturday started to wind down at mom's house [after a day of shopping, and running little errands for her friend and family members -one was a trip to the Emergency Room] we settled down to watch a 1960's, black and white Lawrence Welk show. I'll list some songs [many which mom and grandma knew] and some of the band leaders they honored. SONGS: 'Minnie had a heart as big as a whale,' 'Dream', 'O, Johnny O,' 'I had a date with an angel, now I'm on my way to heaven,' 'Lets Dance' and they closed with their theme song 'Good night and sleep tight.' MUSICIANS HONORED: Tommy Dorsey, Louie Armstrong, Fred Miller, Les Brown and The Reknowns, Fred Warring & The Pennsylvanians, Glen Miller, Benny Goodman, Arron Thatcher, and Fredy Martin. I missed some of the songs and musicians but you catch the jest of it. During the first part of the show there was a giant GERITOL sign behind the Orchestra - then the second half the sign said SOMINEX. Now that I think about it the music and signs were more closely linked that perhaps anyone realized?! My 96yrs. old Grandma told me that Lawrence Welk's biggest sponsor was DODGE; but by the time they sponsored the show it was going to color and advertising had advanced to a new stage without signs in the background. There was a live interview with an old LW trumpet player Rocky Rockwell, following the program. Rocky was born in St.Joe, Missouri and attend McKinley H.S. when his music teacher Mrs. Sharp wanted to start an orchestra. She needed a trumpet play so Rocky volunteered never having played a trumpet; he told his father and his father went to a local pawn shop and purchased a trumpet for $5. LW first heard Rocky when Rocky was playing on KMMJ radio, and liked what he heard and asked Rocky to also sing a song for him - LW ended up inviting Rocky to play in his 'big-time' band! Rocky also mentioned a Frog Hop Ballroom with manager Tom Archer. It was a great trip back into the past and my mother[and grandma] both loved it, and I loved going back there with them.

4 comments:

  1. I happened to see that on PBS Saturday. I actually watched about 2 minutes of the then very young Lennon Sisters. I also saw the Geritol sign.

    When I was a kid in the Sixties, that show was the only thing my parents let us watch on Saturday night. I attribute certain personal nervous pathologies to Sissy, Bobby "anna one, anna two . . ."

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherm
    Are those twins, anna one and anna two, related to the Lennon Sisters? I never could figure that one out? It took me almost the whole program to figure out that the singers where also playing instruments - talk about dense. Do you know where St.Joe is?

    ReplyDelete
  3. As in "St. Joseph, Missouri?" Yes. Why?

    Off topic: Regarding your comment to my last Salinger post, I don't deploy the "things could be worse" bit to avoid thanking God for blessings, though, I suppose some might. In truth, my reason to do so is exactly the opposite. I wish my kids to realize and know that God has a plan for them; that they are where the are for a reason, even if they don't know what that is; and that God has provided everything they need to succeed regardless of whether it appears to be so or not. This means that when things appear to be bad, we should ignore the appearance and our emotions and focus on the reality and our reason: God's Word is Truth. We need to thank Him for our circumstances and praise him for his plan and our (small) part in it.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherm
    the St.Joe referred to was from the LW interview with Rocky. Your kids are fortunate to have such a humble and wise father; it took me many years to figure out how wise my old man had been; hope you're appreciate that a lot quicker than I did. I know it rough for them because teenagers are so smart!:~)

    ReplyDelete