Tuesday, February 16, 2010

INVICTUS! An opinion


Last night, late - late last night, the good wife and eldest daughter and I, saw the movie Invictus, starring Morgan Freeman. This is a powerful movie showing the true character of a man, imprisoned for almost thirty years in a small cell, who eventually becomes the President of his country. Against all odds [including members of his own family and presidential staff] exceed any expectations of anyone. There are so many good ethics/values taught through this picture of a brief segment of his life; but perhaps one of the most amazing was his willingness to forgive...with him the present and the future became more important than the past. Now that's excellent sermon material! Since in the pastorate I daily work with people, and there are those in my own congregation who don't care for me and gossip about me, the lessons on tolerance and forgiveness were not lost, the challenge will be to see how well I practice them. The vehicle, sports, through which Mandela choses to place his strongest efforts of reconciliation in the early days of his presidency is a story that could be taking place in our entertainment-focused culture today. The values taught in this movie need desperately to be taught to our children and youth, and Mandela's faith [in my book] is one we are the poorer for neglecting. There will be those who will argue that Mandela was just being a wise, sly political fox, and to a point they are right, but only to a point for in a personal sense they are wrong, for the overwhelming majority pushed for him to accept the popular and easy course, yet he stayed the course he felt predestined to. Let me give away one scene. In it the rugby team visits Robin Island where Mandela was imprisoned and the captain of the team, whose father is a confirmed apartheid believer, is deeply touched as he closes the door and stands in Mandela's cell. It reminded me of the old Indian saying, 'don't judge me until you've walked a mile in my shoes.' Standing in that cell was a transforming moment as the captain
stood in Mandela's shoes, and I wondered how life changing transforming moments I've missed because I've consciously chosen not to stand, FOR BUT A MOMENT, in someone else's shoes? Loved the movie, and I might purchase the DVD, for I need to take the tme to watch it and make notes. Have a great day - its snowing again - and the good wife and eldest daughter will be going with me to the other side of the state to visit our youngest son and family. Look out grandkids here comes Gramp's and he's got company!! We'll probably eat at Pei Wei's, I love it there. Have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. This one's on my list, though I read a review by Bill Simmons (ESPN's "Sports Guy") suggesting that the producers couldn't decide whether the film was a sports movie or a Mandela mini-biography. It sounds like the movie is more Mandela than rugby, so I eagerly its release on DVD.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherm
    Rather its more mini-Mandela or sports movie you won't regret seeing it ........... have as much of your family as you can watch it with you!

    ReplyDelete