Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tuesdays thoughts


ORIGINAL SINNERS [A New Interpretation of Genesis] by John R. Coats; New York, New York, Free Press. 2009; ISBN: 9781439102091
I always love to read new thoughts, especially when they are talking about scripture. The author, a former Episcopal priest, states up front that he believes the story of Adam and Eve is a metaphor, but a metaphor worth paying attention to. In reviewing the book in Barnes & Noble I found that out but still went ahead and bought the book. I'm glad that I did. Let me say up front, that the author did not convince me Adam & Eve is a metaphor, I still hold firmly to the conviction its a real story [even in my recent Master's course on Spiritual Formation I from time to time came across the metaphoric perspective about Adam & Eve]; however I did enjoy some new thoughts on the book of Genesis. In each chapter the author includes a personal human story from his own life, and the more chapters I read the more convincing it became that much of the authors opinions regarding Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Joseph stemmed from his own experiences in life; to a degree that probably exits in all of us as we seek to apply scripture to ourselves. The fault I find with that is that there are so many different variables between their times and culture and ours, and how we in Western culture measure everything, not in so much in comparison to ours but against us. I believe that often in seeking to understand every little difference we overlook the real lessons meant for us. I think the author did an excellent job in challenging the reader to evaluate what they believe, and being willing to at least entertain other perspectives. Knowing where the author stood ahead of time, and then having a Bible close, provided both his perspective and the Words of Scripture. Let me give you a couple examples of the author's challenging the reader, 'Do we really think Isaac was fooled by Rebekah & Jacob's tricks? ... and here I agree with the author, probably not! For if God told Rebekah that the older twin [Esau] would serve the younger [Jacob], would he not also let Isaac know? I know that Isaac was failing in sight, but I have my doubts he was intellectually. 'Maybe Isaac purposely sent Esau on a mission that he knew would give him plenty of time to bless Jacob? Maybe Rebekah and Jacob didn't need their trickery?' A later question posed by the author was, 'Why, after Esau invited Jacob to his home, after they had made up, did Jacob immediately head in the opposite direction? Did Jacob think Esau was really laying a trap for him? or in asking this question was the author obsessed with the theme of trickery in the story of Jacob?
Other thought provoking speculations are presented by the author that kept my interest. It was a book I recommend but also suggest keeping the Scriptures close by.

After finishing the book I read a little from a recent theology book a gentleman in the church gave to me. I turned to the chapters on creation and read again some of the modern philosophies about creation that conflict with scripture. That's a discussion for other days though; it did however get me to thinking about carbon dating again. Now when it comes to knowing science I'm a cave man in the dark. Never did do every well with figuring planet rotation, star alignment and carving up frogs, so in my antiquated thinking I've always been skeptical about carbon dating.
I'm not entirely opposed to the ideas of earth plates, dinosaurs and long time periods, .... but millions of years - I still can't buy it, although there's still a small window I can be convinced, well a real small window! But just like thinking Adam & Eve are a metaphor, understanding all there is about creation is beyond our human capacity; and so for the moment I'm convinced with both stories we need to have faith and make sure we're not missing out on the lessons. You can go to Amazon.com and find some reviews there that will also help.

2 comments:

  1. A couple of thoughts, other than "thanks for the review."

    1. . . .there are so many different variables between their times and culture and ours, and how we in Western culture measure everything . . .

    True enough, but unfortunately, too many groups focus on the those cultural differences while ignoring the universality of the lessons to be learned from the events recounted. This, of course, is exemplified in the author's use of examples from his own life. Alas, people/groups use those cultural, chronological differences in an attempt to poo-poo or eliminate the lessons in favor of creating something which better suits their desires at the moment.

    2. The problem with the idea of Adam/Eve as metaphor is that leaves us with the question from whence comes the Human Condition. That is, if the story is mere metaphor then that means either a) God created us as sinful beings, separated from Him at the outset or b)rebellion/sin appeared in some other way. If the it is the former, then the entire Bible is worthless, or God is merely another from of Zeus, i.e. completely arbitrary.

    If, however, the story is a metaphor for b) above, then why would God leave is in the dark viz. the real circumstances surround our fall from Grace.

    Anyway, I need to ponder these things some more.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherm
    Thanks for the excellent thoughts, I wholeheartedly agree with you. Another thought, not only does a metaphor present the obstacles you mentioned but it also negates being 'made in God's image' ... having the breathe of life [soul] that no other creation shares, not even the angels.
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete