Saturday, February 13, 2010

Toni who?

One of my dreams is one day to write something longer than a five minute blog entry. Something that challenges people, something that presents a fresh perspective on a well worn issue, something that demands a discipline of me that at the present I'm weak at. I'm always on the look-out for a subject that is obvious yet seems mostly undiscovered or written about. With that in mind I came across an article in the American Thinker that talked about an author whose works I've never read, but often read the remarks on the backs of her novels while perusing the book store aisles. I've noted that a number of nationally known book clubs have picked her novels for discussion. Though I've never read them I've always second guessed myself in not buying one, yet they have caught my attention briefly. I'm a sucker for unique titles and unusual stories so the afore mentioned critique drew me in. After reading the article I googled the author, Dr. Jeffrey Folks. I believe its as important to know as much about the one doing the assessment as the matter being examined. Dr. Folks, apparently is a Fulbright scholar with numerous literature contacts throughout the world, so I felt a bit better evaluating his concerns. I especially appreciated the fact that he used actual book sales as a measuring tool. AFter listing all the literary awards [plus Nobel prize] that Ms. Morrison had won he went on to say that actual readership of her works did not measure up to the significance/prestige/reputation of those awards. To those of you who are avid readers I would recommend this article where you could evaluate the author remarks on your own, I'll list it at the end of this piece. Now what did the article say to me, personally? You can have a lot of academic acclaim but if people aren't buying your work, or listening to your ideas what is its lasting value; am I writing just to impress others, that's certainly hedonistic; or am I actually seeking to learn something by having the feedback of others to evaluate my own writing by; or am I truly trying to pass on to others a little wisdom from my life experiences that might in some way encourage them to look for meanings in their own experiences? After reading this article, googling its author, and then reading the post comments I think I will pass on reading Ms.Morrison's works. A partial comment by someone nick-named Tess struck as a statement to be remembered in any writing venture I might one day cast out on was, '...the point of literature[writing] is that there are universal human experiences: joy, loss, success, failure, faith, anger, deception and reconciliation' around which the article is centered. The reason Morrison's books don't sell is that they do not have any redeeming [or what what might be considered 'universal'; doesn't the term universal include more than just one culture, or even more than just a couple?]transcendant themes, except redundant themes such as victimhood, defeatism, national guilt [thanks Dianor]. I like that concept of redeeming 'transcendant themes;' do I even post with that concept in mind? What a goal, that my pithy crib notes might aspire to have at least one 'transcendant theme.' Now I'm inspired, so I'm going to search for a redeeming 'transcendant theme' to scribble about - maybe Monday?
www.americanthinker.com/2010/02/whatever_happened_to_toni_morr.html

2 comments:

  1. I've liked some of Morrison's work, i.e. Song of Solomon, but hated other stuff. I think part of the problem is that while certain works of hers have what I call a "universal application," many, many others have a very self-contained universe, unknowable to most readers. I'm sure she describes the experiences of Black America well, but I think her world view has become more insulated and more "preachy" as time has passed, thereby making her work less accessible to the rest of us. Toss in the gratuitous slams against all white people, and it's not good for book sales.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sherm...
    I value your evaluations. For some time I've thought about reading the Song of Solomon, but just never got to it.

    ReplyDelete