Saturday, February 13, 2010

Stepping up to the Valentine plate!

Happy Valentine's Day! {I know its tomorrow, but hey how often am I early?] As I was again reading all the stories and myths about Valentines' day, some simple facts held my attention. First, there are over a billion Valentine cards purchased each year, second only to Christmas cards, that's a lot of cards and quite encouraging. Second, 85% of those cards are purchased by women! Now I was really down-hearted after hearing that ... come on men, where are you?! The heroic, life threatening actions taken by Saint Valentine in Rome should be enough to embarass any of us men who don't send valentine cards to our loved ones. I know that culture has ingrained in boys that its weak to show emotions, and recently its gone in the extreme to the other side, but in the middle there is a maturing mixture of romance and ruggedness. So I'm going to conclude this brief article and go to the store to purchase 6 cards: 1 for my wife, 1 for my mother, 1 for the good wife's mother, 2 for my daughters and 1 for my daughter-in-law. ....maybe a few chocolates here and there. I love it that no one in my family reads this blog so I don't have to keep secrets - I keep secrets too well, and what usually happens is, because of my faulty memory, my secrets quickly morph into mysteries! Well gotta go, catch ya later ... any men out there, 'got your valentine[s]? ... I'll meet you at State Grounds for a cup and we'll compare cards? they've also got balloons with little chocolates there.
Later.

4 comments:

  1. The reason we're not buying cards is because we don't have any money left after the fancy dinner, 1000 bloom bouquet, and jewelry.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherm
    Oh thanks, now I have to research restaurants, floral shops and jewelry stores!!:~) I think you're probably right, maybe the card people need to expand their surverys?!
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be a real man and make your own Valentine Day card! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sage
    Sorry, I'm a failure; hopefully the accompanying chocolates will partially disguise that!

    ReplyDelete