Thursday, November 12, 2009

Veteran's Day


WELL, I truly enjoyed yesterday; and I survived a trip to the dentist office for x-rays and a cleaning, then only to be told I need to return today. My blood pressure shot up about 40 pts from normal in the dentist office. Today I'm a little more calm although that may be a trap! A couple of restaurants in our town gave vet's a free meal, so my wife and I ate lunch at Applebee's and it was delicious and I thanked them for their remembrance. Then later we decided to stop at another restaurant for a light supper, and when I asked if they gave free veteran meals the lady said no, she'd never heard of such a thing - I felt terribly embarrassed and was afraid she thought I was arrogant, but mostly I was a little hostile towards the person who had so assuredly told my wife the restaurant was a participant in that program. As I was finally able to gain some composure after we ordered, we observed there were only about a half-dozen people,
where at Applebee's there were people waiting outside, I told my wife the owners of the restaurant we were in had missed a real economic blessing because most vets brought wives or friends with them to enjoy the occasion. Then a question popped onto the screen of my mind, how many blessings had I missed because I failed to praise/thank God for his goodness to me - I'm not so sure I want an answer to that.
While reading the news headlines yesterday I came across an article 'Milwaukee muggers see Army ID, return wallet.' It seems that a Milwaukee Army reservist' was confronted with four thugs on the streets, pushed into an alley and made to lie on the ground while, with a gun pressed against him, they began to steal his belongings. The robber-leader in searching his wallet saw his reservist card and immediately ordered the others to give back the items they were stealing, matter of fact the leader told him they appreciated his service and actually apologized..go figure. Here's the website if you'd like to read the whole story - www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jDFTbMAAo3-80-sd_EZ_fhPq6TOAD9BT3JGO0. The police reported another robber incident within 40 minutes in about the same area and noted that a corrections officer had been mugged, when the robbers came across his corrections ID they were not impressed and kept his stuff. Now this is really perplexing, to think that there is still honor among thieves, an honor for those who serve our country. I rejoiced in not only the blessings of those who gave free meals [and it certainly was a good economic move for them, but they deserved it] but also in the fact that those who serve our country are NOT forgotten. thanks.

5 comments:

  1. I had to laugh at the muggers... I can imagine that they were not impressed by the correctional officer. Sorry about your teeth issues, I had a crown last week... I hope they gave you gas, it makes it process so much more relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure that the Milwaukee muggers were not an aberration, but so be it. It's nice to see that it's possible for everyone to tap into virtue once in a while.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sage
    Nope - no gas, just the homemade brand. Do wouldn't give me gas just local; course I don't need any yet until the two teeth come out here shortly before Christmas.

    Sherm ..
    Yes, these occasional taps into virtue restore my faith in my fellow man somewhat. Course I had to dig through about a hundred headlines to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read an interesting observation by Fred Smith Sr. in his book, "Leading With Integrity". He said most people have integrity, but it is sectioned like a grapefruit. Criminals like you describe will show honor to a veteran, but will still rob a corrections officer. Hardened murders will show no remorse for their deeds except they will tear up and cry if their mother hears about it.

    I haven't read all that Mr. Smith had to say about integrity, but I don't believe "grapefruit integrity" should be the norm for Christians, although I believe it exists amoung us too. I believe the goal (and God's ideal) is for us to have integrated integrity.

    Agree?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just checking in. I hope all is well with you and yours.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete