Monday, November 9, 2009

The River of Doubt


A Book Review: 'The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey.' Millard, Candice. New York, New York. Broadway Books Publish. 2005
This is an absolutely thrilling book, and probably one that is not that well known among Americans. Stinging from a defeated attempt for a third term as US President Theodore Roosevelt goes to the Amazon Basin, there to explore and map out a tributary of that great river that is unknown to civilized man. Although a few have gotten a little ways, no civilized man has ever gone its entire length and mapped its course.
For those who enjoy travel logs this is great, Ms. Millard provides information about the plant and animal life along their trip that makes it come alive ... at times you can almost feel the insects bites and jump at every little noise mentioned. If you're real focused you'll find yourself anticipating what's around the next bend or seeing hidden Indians along the banks as surely Teddy and the explorers must have. To think that a former US President would take such a journey is incredible, and then almost die on the trip, wow what a story. I'll let you read the book for the details and suspense.
In this review I would rather focus on the psychological aspects of the story. One thing that caught my attention was the fact that Teddy in his pursuit of conquests fmay have failed in some of his aspirations as father. Although it seems that all his kids grew up rather well adjusted yet he leaves them with expectations that can rarely be met, and a relationship that is based more achieving than being. I know that often times in the book those who are close to him speak about 'loving him' though I question in what context do they mean love him? Is it in the sense of hero worship, which can have its positive aspects, is it in the sense of personal intimacy, love doesn't seem to be a major expressive factor even in his relationships with his wife ... rather, to me 'this loving him' appears in the context of 'awe.' It also often appears to me that his 'awesomeness' tends to create a dependency upon him, that relationships with him are built not on how two may relate more intimately but how closely the other can cling to Teddy. One particular illustration comes to mind, and I will try to explain it without getting into particulars in the story. As the expedition begins Teddy's reckless son Kermit agrees to go on the journey simply to pacify his mother's concerns about his father; however deeper into the story we find Teddy trying to become the protector of his son - why? glad you asked - because the recklessness of Kermit mirrors the character of Teddy himself. I'm not so sure the former president ever recognizes this, but it is one aspect of how his character so monopolizes his family members that they will often go to any bounds to make sure he loves them. With his seemingly boundless abilities and energy I wished that he could have been more like President Carter, and even President Adams, in the sense that he put those post-presidential energies to work helping out his fellow man or found a way to positively influenced his country's well being. [Though there were probably few men who loved their country more at that time than he did] Having said all of this I am sure that I would have felt nothing but admiration for the man, and been humbled to have merely stood in his presence. I must say that in contrast to all I've said he was a man not unaware of the price others were willing to pay for the success of the journey. Numerous times Teddy forgoes his own welfare for that of the workers along with them, and at one time offers to stay behind the expedition so that he won't slow them up. This book is indeed an extremely rare look inside a president, and it all happens after he has left public office. I hope that you ENJOY this book half as much as I did. I can't say as I am fully satisfied with this review for I fear that some of you will take it as negative and I in no way mean for it to be; therefore I may change and add it from time to time as thoughts come to me.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good read. I knew about TR's early life in North Dakota and of course, the Rough Riders, but didn't know about this.

    Sigh

    More to learn, darn it.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherm
    Wanted to let you know I'm about half way through your rant on the health care bill we humble peasants should be worshipping washington for .... I'm so sick of it all; it was refreshing to read of a real hero like Teddy!
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good review and the book is a good read--I reviewed it a few years ago. Now I got to figure out why your blog isn't appearing updated on my blogroll--I was wondering if you had slowed down your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sage
    I go in spurts, I'm extremely inconsistent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ignore or delete this comment as it's off-topic. I commented to the prior post which I don't know if you've seen. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherm
    I'm totally lost ... which post are you speaking about, I'd love to comment .... old age is slowly [well sometimes not so slowly] brain creaping.

    ReplyDelete