Monday, November 9, 2009

Getting frustrated!


Last night I ventured into the religious no man's land when I introduced a study by citing from the novel 'The Shack.' You would have thought I have now turned heretic and the people need to be on their guard because I've been influenced by he who rules the night. I'm not writing a critique of the book yet, because I still have a couple chapters to read, which I'll complete before I turn in tonight, but I want to take some space here to vent.
In my opening comments I was careful to explain that the book is no theology textbook, matter of fact I don't even know that there are any deep truths in it ... but it is mostly a book that causes you to reflect on what you believe, particularly about the Trinity. I guess the reaction I got was similar to people who don't want to even discuss Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings; people who haven't read the material, but because of entrenched opinions are sure thinking outside the box is not a religiously healthy thing to do. Now I certainly don't recommend people who have a new, and/or weak faith read this kind of thought provoking material because it might have an undue influence on their fledgling faith, but to those of us who have a somewhat tested and mature faith, should we not find a challenge in reading this ... not to realign our faith but to develop it. I think that we sometimes 'react' in our reading rather than being 'proactive'. Okay I hear you, how in the world do we be 'proactive' if we've already read something ... here's what I do, I refuse to react to what I'm reading particularly if its theological in nature. I mark the text just read, get out the scriptures and try to find as many verses as I can that relate to that portion, then after I have read both the book and the bible I look to see how well the two relate to each other, is the text following scripture, [please take note of the priority of scripture that I've made] or is it taking a different direction, and what is the future outcome pointed to.
I think we need to be especially careful that we don't attach meaning to the authors writings that were never intended; ex: if the author is struggling to work through a concept we must be careful that we don't interpret that author's intention as trying to mislead the reader, rather than trying to find an answer. So far in my reading of 'The Shack' I find the author struggling with his past, trying to find some kind of answer, trying to come to grips so that the past can be released. Now I may be extremely naive, but I don't believe the author is trying to present a correct theology of the Trinity here, nor do I believe he is trying to persuade us to interpret the Trinity as he does, but he is questioning ... why are we so afraid to question? There is a hidden danger in not being able to question and that is that we cease to grow, we cease to develop a more intimate relationship with Christ in new areas of our lives. I'm reminded that Paul said we 'are to work out our salvation,' meaning that there is a continual growing that must be taking part. Although growing can be an exciting time, I more often find it to be hard work, often times painful and certainly most of the time challenging; yet as Christians we tend to want our growth to be happy and exciting, and not challenging but comforting. The God that I serve is certainly big enough to not feel threatened by my questions, and gracious enough to tarry with me as I work them out, maybe its the time to work, and cost of working them I shy away from.
The main question that I had tried to propose was never really answered, 'how close of a relationship do we have with the Holy Spirit?' Whenever we appeared to get close to the answer a comment on the hierarchy of the Trinity surfaced. Now I will be the first to admit I'm not big on that issue, 'who is greater God, Christ or the Spirit' because I don't believe there is an answer to that question, matter of fact I'm almost convinced that is not a correct question at all. An intimate relationship with God dissolves that issue, matter of fact an intimate relationship with God does not even see such an issue; for a wholesome relationship with God means communion with the Son and the Spirit also, in the same context, in the same depth, without any competition. How do we establish an intimate relationship with just one aspect of God, when the way to God is through the Son and the Spirit facilitates our coming to the Son? Well now I'm entering into a theological quagmire, and I don't know where the land mines are so I'm backing out. Perhaps we fail to realize that even 'novel's' can be inspired to the point that they cause us to think without having to arrive at an answer ... could it possibly be that that inspiration could even point us to developing a greater relationship. As I read this for the 'umpteenth' time I have to chuckle a little when Ithink of how upset people must have been at the teachings of Jesus; for these were certainly concepts beyond what religious leaders had been telling them for centuries.
How did they grapple with his teachings? Where did they find others that were even willing to discuss them? Did Jesus teachings cause them to want to develop deeper relationships with God?

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh, I hate having to justify something I've read or quoted, merely because it was not written or uttered by an "approved" writer. I've always maintained that a)God is the author of all Truth and is Truth himself; b) Because the Truth frees us, I c) need not fear it, regardless of the "mouthpiece." After all, 2+2=4 regardless of whether the same is uttered by Mother Theresa or Pol Pot.

    Further, if we believe that the Holy Spirit tugs at each human's heart, trying to draw him/her to God, then it is certainly conceivable that non-Christians will catch a glimpse of the Truth, even if they don't comprehend the whole thing.

    I could go on, but I've got to get to work.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete