Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Teeth & Termination


Just some uneventful news so far this week. Sunday afternoon I was in my office, chewing a bit' - of - honey and chomped down on something hard ... now what could that be? So I took the candy out of my mouth, and to my surprise there was a 'tooth' in the candy - that will get your mind spinning. How did a tooth get in my candy .. you might know it would be my candy .. how much could I sue Nestle's for .. would the settlement let my wife and I take trips to different places around the world .. how many taxes would we have to take out? As I was somewhat troubled by the health hazards of chewing on someone else's tooth I tried to balance that with how wealthy I was about to become ...... then, yes, you've guessed it .... my dreams evaporated - my tongue had located the vacant spot where 'that' tooth used to reside! There would be no riches forthcoming,
the only thing looming in my future was a trip to the dentists' chair - that chair where my blood pressure spikes another 20 points, that chair where nightmares become reality, that chair where all kinds of pointy things enter my mouth, that chair where the only positive thing I've heard heard is, 'that's will be all!' Now don't get me wrong, I have the greatest dentist in the world, but I'm still convinced he probably chose to be a dentist because of some guilt complex about his past. Tomorrow 10:30AM.
This morning I went the big-city north and signed up to be enrolled in the Veteran's Affairs Health system. Oh yah, I'm 60 now - life is on the downward side. While over there I also went past the Veterans Home, so when I get to be too much of a pain, now that I'm into the system, my wife and kids can just commit me there. Just think on nice warm days I can sit on the porch, drink ice tea, and recall all the life-saving tasks I did while serving my country[that shouldn't be difficult I was a clerk, the only thing I saved were paper clips]; then in the winter, I can sit on the porch all bundled up drinking hot cocoa and watching my breath spiral into the wind and trying desperately to recall 'how did I get here?'. A couple years ago I had gone to the same clinic and was given some papers to fill out and bring back with my DD214[for those of you not familiar with this form, its your discharge form]. For some reason I didn't have a copy and when told I should have registered it at the county courthouse when I got home from the Army I didn't recall ever doing that. But then the VA counselor here in town convinced me to call there and find out, just in case. Wow! what a just in case, I had filed the form and they could mail it to me; better still my hometown county courthouse did such a service free from veterans. However, since my mother has her hair done every week in the same town she picked it up for me, then when my wife was visiting her this past weekend mom sent it home with her. Now I feel really good, I'm about to become another number in a government system, can it get any better than this. I mean even when it gets to the point I start forgetting my name all I have to do is show them this little card with 'the number' and the eagle on it, presto I'm in luck again. So I don't get to take extended trips to places I've never been, I'm still assured of a place I never want to go to! Wonder if they have a dentist' chair there?

3 comments:

  1. I don't think anyone records their discharge at the county seat anymore. I know my dad did when he resigned his commission in the Navy in 1947. Now, with the advent of computer data bases and the internet, it's easier to avoid those quaint, old-fashioned, record preservation mechanisms.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherm
    I agree only the VA demanded an authentic copy from the County Clerk's office .... go figure. And the county va clerk here told me I would have to send in papers requesting an official copy from the va administration, if I couldn't get an authentic copy from my home county - I couldn't even send in the info on internet .... go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, dentists I never do for some reason. I've just had too many bad experiences to overcome.

    ReplyDelete