Monday, November 9, 2009

Good to have SWCOBL back!

My precious SWCOBL has returned from spending the week-end with my mom in Ohio. She had a good time and was able to help mom get up her Christiams decorations, [yes its the first part of November, but mom has always been the early bird in getting decorations up; guess she wants to catch the winter worm before anyone else] and SWCOBL got to visit with gram, and also our niece. She had a safe trip both there and back, and I thank God for that. Now its getting time to turn our focus on a Thanksgiving reunion with her family in Illinois, and a partial family reunion with two of our kids and their families who are also coming to the reunion celebrating my wife's parents '40th' anniversary. I forgot to mention that my wife also brought back with her some 'kickin' home-made chili she created at my mother's house; its almost as good as my home-made jambalya .... ummmm, thinking of jambalya, I'll fix jambalya for the 'men's hunting banquet' this saturday night?!

Here is the jambalya recipe I think I'll use. Its really a conglomeration from a bunch of different recipes I've put together [I would be interested in any suggestions]
1 Cup chopped celery
1 Red[or yellow] bell pepper chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 lb. andoullie sausage
1 lb. chopped chicken
1 pkg. [40-51] shrimp
2 can [14.5 oz.] cans crushed tomatoes w/liquid [w/chili flavoring]
1 small can of tomato paste
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups tomato juice
1 teaspoon dried thme
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cummin
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon oregano [I use oregano in everything]
*Cook chicken then chop into pieces.
*Heat celergy, bell pepper and onions until sauteed.
*Add chicken and sausage to pot, pour in crushed tomatoes, chicken broth and tomato juice.
add seasonings plus kosher salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and cover for at least 20 minutes.
[if I have some crab meat in the pantry, I'll throw that in the mix also.]
*Add cooked shrimp for another 15 minutes.
*Now taste, and see what needs to be added.
*THIS IS BEST MADE THE NIGHT BEFORE, SO THAT IT CAN SPEND ALL DAY MARRYING THE FLAVORS IN THE FRIG. THEN REHEAT AND SERVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment