Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Oh, Joseph, where are you?

After being in ministry for nearly thirty years, its always a 'personal challenge' to come up with a series of advent/lenten sermons you've never done before. Many hours are spent alone with God searching for his new direction in your preaching schedule. First, your series must be Christ-centered, then Biblically grounded, then culturally and personally applicable; quite a tall order to fill which is why I can't even begin to do it on my own. This year during a community pastoral get together the discussion centered on 'dreams' and how important they were among ancient believers. And as different dreams and dreamers of scripture were being discussed God revealed to me that this years Advent sermons should focus on dreams, to a people in an economy where dreams and hopes are better defined by lottery tickets or rich uncles passing on inheritances. NOw I'm not a big dreamer, and rarely if ever, remember a dream I've had; one of my spiritual brothers [Sage] remarked about how he used to 'journal his dreams' while in college and seminary .... 'journaling your dreams' a most out-of-this-world experience. I couldn't get away from that idea, and as I began to sense God's direction I got more excited. Finally, the answer came, 'we would talk this advent about the dreams that Joseph experienced' as given to us in the Matthew 1 & 2. We would take those four dreams and make them into three messages.
As I began to accumulate a notebook of notes, and research I wondered, 'why had I never thought of this idea before?' Here is a leading support character in not only the story of Christmas but the early formation of Jesus childhood, and except for obligatory reference he is given little thought of. I know scripture doesn't say that much about him, but not only is silence golden sometimes it is heavy with instruction and guidance. As I prepare for Sunday, Dec.6th [this weekend I will be spending with my wife celebrating her parents anniversary in Illinois], I researched our denominations hymnal and among all of the Christmas songs not ONE names Joseph,[check out your church hymnal?] much less implies that he's even in the picture. Were I someone who had never heard the Christmas stories and got all my information from that hymnal I might not even believe Mary was married. Mary, angels, shepherds and wise men all get at least one carol named for them ...........not Joseph. I have come across an illustration that highlights the oft unnoticed presence of Jospeh in a Christmas story by a four year old that is literally awesome, maybe I'll share it during this series. Well before I give too much away too early, let me just say, I guess its time we start learning the lessons Joseph so humbly and faithfully set for us that long ago Christmas time.

3 comments:

  1. RE: no hymns or carols about Joseph... Let that be a lesson for men who forget to make hotel reservations before going on a trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Joseph is given short shrift, primarily because of the Catholic emphasis on Mary. As you say, however, sometimes, silence is golden with instruction. The fact that he is not mentioned more, after he was charged with accepting a pregnant woman as a wife and then preserving the Word Incarnate from Herod, perhaps bespeaks a quiet, all-abiding faith in God's providence and ultimate salvation.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sage
    I'm willing to bet Joseph heard about that lack of preparation clear to Egypt and back! I really chuckled at your comment.

    Sherm....
    I'm thinking that sometimes its better to be well thought of than to express your opinion and lose credibility; I mean how successful can you be arguing against God's choice when there is no proof to support your perspective??

    ReplyDelete