Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Dead Beat:: Perverse Pleasures of Obituaries

Early in the book the author refers to 'obituaries' as gardens of emotion. They are meant to help grieving people begin to heal and even laugh. They are meant to bring fellowship and bonding through a mutual friend/family member from in the past. Obituaries are those strange vessels through which we are reminded of our fragile existence, and that none of us escape death, so what memories are we creating through our living for those who will read our obituaries.
I truly did enjoy this book, although a lot of it was dull, but then there have to limits to how exciting obituaries can be, even if reading them becomes a have-too. I was not aware that there is a whole sub-culture out there that indulges in obituaries far past just reading them. There are people who save them, and make scrap books out there; there is serious newspaper competition. The author talks about when the N.Y.Times created its 'Portraits of Grief' following 9/11. Of course there were those who criticized it, but by far and large it had a positive impact as it focused on the daily lifestyles of those who had lost their lives. It also helped to create a sense that the 'ordinary' person can have a huge impact on one's community without being in the spotlight, and thousands congratulated the Gray Lady for her sensitivity to these subjects, and for taking the time to care and print.
Overall this book was a great read, and I am glad that I read the book. It has given me a whole new perspective, not only about reading obituaries - which often have hidden 'obit codes' that are fun to discover, but also about being more observant and letting people know how I appreciate their lives before they become an obit.
JOHNSON, Marilyn, New York, N.Y. Harper Collins, PUb., 2006
ISBN: 9780060758752
[I really need an editing and proof reading department for this blog spot!!]

While we're on the subject of death, I recently came across an article on the internet: 'Will Osama bin Laden's death save Barrack Obama's presidency.' I have no answer or political opinion about that; but I do know that Osama's death has certainly raised a lot of controversy - and a lot of it I suppose is very much needed. For the Christian community definitely needs to tread lightly upon this issue, and realize that it is an opportunity to 'reach out' rather than 'rejoice.' Monday I briefly mentioned Osama's death in this blogsphere, and receive an excellent comment from Sherm. Sherm then referred to me an excellent blog about this subject, if you have the time you need to follow up on that blog - it was excellent.
ENJOY.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the plug.

    Sort of off topic, but now that I've turned fifty, I find myself paying more attention to the obits and doing mental fist pumps when I outlive someone. Very disconcerting that.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe its just a reassure that you've beat the odds; especially given the reason for that other person's demise?

    ReplyDelete